Teensyduino 1.52 Install Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm trying to install Teensyduino to jump over some code for a project I'm interested in, bit not having much luck getting it to run. I have Arduino IDE 1.8.12 installed on Mac OS X 10.15.4, and that IDE works fine.

Download Teensyduino 1.52
Unzip in the downloads folder
Copy to the Applications folder
Delete Arduino IDE
Run Teensyduino (click on the web download security prompt to Open)
Teensyduino starts to load, and goes through 'Initialising Packages,' 'Preparing Boards' and 'Starting' and then just quits.

Am I missing a step or some other config I need to do?

Please give this one a try. Does it run on your Mac?

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_152/Teensyduino_MacOS_Catalina_Java8u252.zip

This copy is the same, except the OpenJDK Java JRE is updated to a newer version that Arduino 1.8.12 normally uses.

Another quick question - does your Mac have a multiple monitor setup? Apparently use on the secondary monitor or moving windows between monitors triggers some of these OpenJDK Java bugs. :(

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the post! Sadly that version is doing the same thing for me - quitting partway through load.

I'm on a MacBook Pro running an external 5K display, but the MBP is in clamshell mode. I've also just tried opening it up and just trying to run it on the MBPs display, but the same deal sadly.

Oh no. Sorry this is so painful. Since the switch to OpenJDK, there have been problems with certain Macs running Catalina. It doesn't happen on Macbook Air running 10.15.4, which makes testing and troubleshooting difficult.

As a quick sanity check, can you run the stand-alone Teensy Loader? The download is on this page.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/loader_mac.html

You should see the normal warning about downloaded from the internet, but otherwise this should run without errors on Catalina, as it is properly signed and notarized with Apple.

If that works but Teensyduino 1.52 still won't run, maybe we can try an experiment later today? There is a patch pending on Arduino's issue tracker to have the IDE fall back to a Java install on your Mac. I could try to create a modified copy of Teensyduino 1.52 for you, with that patch. Maybe it will be able to run on your Mac if you download Java 8 from Oracle? It needs to be Java 8 (or 1.8), not 11 or 14.

Oh no. Sorry this is so painful. Since the switch to OpenJDK, there have been problems with certain Macs running Catalina. It doesn't happen on Macbook Air running 10.15.4, which makes testing and troubleshooting difficult.

As a quick sanity check, can you run the stand-alone Teensy Loader? The download is on this page.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/loader_mac.html

You should see the normal warning about downloaded from the internet, but otherwise this should run without errors on Catalina, as it is properly signed and notarized with Apple.

If that works but Teensyduino 1.52 still won't run, maybe we can try an experiment later today? There is a patch pending on Arduino's issue tracker to have the IDE fall back to a Java install on your Mac. I could try to create a modified copy of Teensyduino 1.52 for you, with that patch. Maybe it will be able to run on your Mac if you download Java 8 from Oracle? It needs to be Java 8 (or 1.8), not 11 or 14.

Hi Paul,

The Teensy Loader seems to work OK! :)

TD1.52 still doesn't load though. Happy to try a test version if you have the time, it would be very much appreciated.

I will download and install Java 8 as well per your note, and see whether that makes a difference.

Thanks!

i am using the default 1.52 from the download page with catalina just perfectly...just everything a little slow

trying the new build now

Hi Paul,

Quick update - I installed JRE v8, and still no joy I'm afraid. If you have a modified copy of TD 1.52 I can try, that would be magic?

Teensyduino 1.53-beta1 is now available, using Arduino 1.8.13 for the MacOS Catalina version.

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/61388-Teensyduino-1-53-Beta-1

Arduino 1.8.13 includes a change "Fixed crash on MacOSX >=10.15 with multiple monitor setups". As I understand it, they rebuilt the "appbundler" code which launches the IDE using Apple's 10.9 SDK. Apparently the crashes only happen when compiled with later SDK versions.

Please give 1.53-beta1 a try and let me know if it solves the crashing problems on your Mac. My 1 and only Mac with Catalina is a Macbook Air without a 2nd monitor, so I have no way to reproduce these crashes.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the heads up on the new beta - I've given it a try and sadly it's the same result, it quits partway through the loading process. :(

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the heads up on the new beta - I've given it a try and sadly it's the same result, it quits partway through the loading process. :(

For clarity - was Step #1 Install Arduino IDE 1.8.13 then Step #2 - install TD 1.53 b1? Assuming this isn't a case needing the All-in-one installer for newest mac os?

sadly it's the same result, it quits partway through the loading process. :(

Oh, that is disappointing. Other people have reported the multi-monitor crashing is fixed, but it seems we still have some other unknown Mac problem.

Here's one more guess. Maybe at some point MacOS told you Teensyduino would like to access files in your Documents folder and you clicked "Don't Allow"? That would cause it to not be able to start up, because it needs to use the Documents folder to save files. It scans for previously saved files at startup to populate the File > Sketchbook menu, and any libraries you've installed which are saved in a libraries folder inside Documents/Arduino.

To check this, click Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy (tab) > Files and Folders. It should look like this:

sc.png

If "Document Folder" is unchecked, just click it to allow Teensyduino to access Documents.

Does that help?

As a final followup on this old thread, I've updated the download page with improved instructions specific to each operating system. Arduino 1.8.13 appears to fix the Java issues. Catalina needing permission for Documents folder access is now mentioned specifically in the install steps.

Hopefully this old group of issues is now fully resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back