XIP from external memory on 4.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edsut

Hi,
I'm considering what I guess would be a non-standard memory map; but it depends on
the ability to run XIP from the add-on memory (PSRAM &| FLASH) on the Teesny4.1.
I see that they are hooked up to the FlexSPI interface on the chip, and the 1060 does support
XIP from FlexSPI, so is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to run XIP (execute in place)
from either of those devices?

As a follow-on question (assuming I can run XIP from those external devices); does the HalfKay
bootloader support writing to the external Flash memory space?
Thanks,

so is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to run XIP (execute in place)
from either of those devices?

Yes, the MPU would be 1 reason...

By default the memory ranges not normally used for code are configured with NOEXEC. It's meant as a security precaution. So you would need to edit this code in startup.c:

Code:
        SCB_MPU_RBAR = 0x70000000 | REGION(i++); // FlexSPI2
        SCB_MPU_RASR = MEM_CACHE_WBWA | READONLY | [B]NOEXEC[/B] | SIZE_256M;

SCB_MPU_RBAR = 0x70000000 | REGION(i++); // FlexSPI2
        SCB_MPU_RASR = MEM_CACHE_WBWA | READWRITE | [B]NOEXEC[/B] | SIZE_16M;

If you delete NOEXEC, then it should become possible to execute code from those memory ranges.

does the HalfKay bootloader support writing to the external Flash memory space?

No, definitely not. You will need to arrange for putting the code into that memory. The bootloader only knows how to write to the main flash memory. The bootloader also does not erase that memory, so each time you wish to change that code, you'll need to erase it before writing new data. But the good news is once you've build special code and gone though the trouble to write it there, it will remain intact in that extra flash memory chip as you do normal loading of the main flash memory.

You also need the linker to create code meant to execute from the address where you will place it. The compiler can do that, but at the very least you will need to create a special linker script.

I'm back to transitioning from an eval board to Teensy4.1 and I'm having some trouble getting my image booted with HalfKay,
so I just wanna make sure I'm doing things correctly...
Am I correct to assume that as long as I limit the addresses in the .hex file (fed to teensy_loader_cli) to space within
the main flash memory, then HalfKay will program that space... Correct?
(i.e. there is no off-limits area in the main flash memory, correct?)
Thanks,

The top 256K of the 8M flash chip on Teensy 4.1 is reserved. Teensy Loader will complain if your .hex file has data beyond the first 7936K. The "imxrt1062_t41.ld" linker file we use in Teensyduino also restricts the compiler to use only 7936K of the 8192K flash. But if you edit the linker file or build with another system, Teensy Loader will not allow you to load code into that top 256K.

In the reserved space, 252K is used for eeprom emulation. Data you have stored in the emulated eeprom is meant to persist between uploads, which is the reason you can't load code into that memory.

The top 4K is a copy of the LED blink example. When you hold the pushbutton for 15 seconds for a complete wipe of all non-volatile memory, that little program is copied to the beginning of the flash so your Teensy reboots to a known-good program. The top 4K is permanently hardware locked. It can never be erased or altered.

Execute In Place (XiP)

You also need the linker to create code meant to execute from the address where you will place it. The compiler can do that, but at the very least you will need to create a special linker script.

Hey Paul... Novice here,
Please advice on how to edit/adapt current script for this, suppose i manage the first act of getting my code into the external flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back