reading S/PDIF data with Teensy 3.6 (or 4) for a beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
I'm a bit new to the Teensy world, much more used to the Arduino Uno.
Is it possible to connect an S/PDIF or optical audio input to Teensy 3.6, so that it can be read by the Teensy and recorded to an audio file?
I suppose this could be done via the I2S protocol, with the Teensy in slave mode.
There are many discussions on the forum about S/PDIF and Teensy 4.
As a novice, I am looking for a simple and not too expensive solution.

Thank you in advance for your help

I can confirm that the AudioInputSPDIF3 works well with the Queue for recording (or in my case, wireless transmission), but I have yet to get the AsyncAudioInputSPDIF3 to work with the Queue without crashing the T4.0 and requiring a physical press of the program button to reprogram. I am actually very interested in this feed, as well.

Last edited:
I have yet to get the AsyncAudioInputSPDIF3 to work with the Queue without crashing the T4.0 and requiring a physical press of the program button to reprogram.

Same here; thought I'd bricked the Teensy (4.1), until I learned of the long button-press reset (being new to Teensy). I'm also very interested in SPDIF on the Teensy, so will be keeping an eye out here.

@gfvalvo: did you use the teensy 3.6 alone or with the audio shield?
Only one device at a time can be connected to an I2S input or output. So you can use the DAC part of the Audio Shield at the same time, but not the ADC.

You can also use the chip's second I2S I/O channel. That allows S/PDIF input and output as well as Audio Shield input and output.

Obviously, for proper synchronization, all sampling must be done at the rate set by the S/PDIF input.

Here's an example of what I did: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/45394-SPDIF-Input-and-Output?highlight=s%2Fpdif

Last edited:
Only one device at a time can be connected to an I2S input or output.
CORRECTION:
In theory, you can have multiple devices connected to the same I2S output, assuming there's only one master and that the electrical parasitics of the connections don't degrade signal integrity too much.

Only one device at a time can be connected to an I2S input or output. So you can use the DAC part of the Audio Shield at the same time, but not the ADC.

You can also use the chip's second I2S I/O channel. That allows S/PDIF input and output as well as Audio Shield input and output.

Obviously, for proper synchronization, all sampling must be done at the rate set by the S/PDIF input.

Here's an example of what I did: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/45394-SPDIF-Input-and-Output?highlight=s%2Fpdif

Ummm, it depends on which Teensy you have:
  • The Teensy 3.6 only has 1 I2S bus. You can use I2S for S/PDIF;
  • The Teensy 4.0 and 4.1 have 2 separate I2S buses. In addition it has a separate S/PDIF control using pins 14/15.

Hello, heres hoping Paul reads his notification and see my question :)

I spent HOURS now , trying to find the post where it was mentioned NXP is preparing a new uC with builtin ASRC hardware and theres an use case for that here ?
And afaict it was posted by Paul? Was it a dream or I just can't find it anymore?

Yes, NXP is putting ASRC hardware into the next generation of IMXRT chips.

Here's the block diagram from NXP's website. You can see ASRC in the "Connectivity" part at the top of the left column.

blockdiagram.jpg
(click for full size)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back