Teensy 4.1 with TFT Touchscreen ILI9341 and QVgaTest_Touch Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShogunBaker

I have searched the boards and don't think anyone has asked this question. I am new so please forgive me if I missed it somewhere. I am also not an electronics expert and just a hobbiest. So any guidance is appreciated.

I am purchasing a Teensy 4.1 board. I am hoping to use it for a custom game controller. I would like to use a touchscreen as a custom display screen. On the PJRC store page for the Color 320x240 TFT Touchscreen using the ILI9341 Controller Chip (https://www.pjrc.com/store/display_ili9341_touch.html), it shows several Teensy versions including a picture of a 3.2 and what appears to be a 4.1 connected to an interface board referred to as the "purple test board" which links to the "qvgatest_touch" board (https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/TG395I75) by @PaulStoffregen.

I am unclear about the purpose of the interface board other than to provide a connection between the Teensy and the ILI9341. I see a power connector, a line voltage regulator, and a few resistors. I understand the display uses 3.3 v so I was thinking maybe the board electronics provide some regulated 3.3v output, but the text on the display's page at the PJRC store says:

"This ILI3941 display works well with Teensy 4.0 and 4.1, using the standard connections shown in the table."

Outside of 1 resistor mentioned in the table for the LED, do I need the board or can I directly connect to the pins on the Teensy 4.1 to the ILI9341 as indicated? Or is the qvgatest_touch board providing another function? Maybe for an earlier Teensy? If it is needed or recommended, can someone explain what it does?

Any help is appreciated.

I am unclear about the purpose of the interface board other than to provide a connection between the Teensy and the ILI9341.

Indeed that is all it does, just connect Teensy to the display.

Outside of 1 resistor mentioned in the table for the LED, do I need the board or can I directly connect to the pins on the Teensy 4.1 to the ILI9341 as indicated?

You don't need that circuit board. It's just wires and 1 resistor. But it sure is convenient if you retest the library every several months, as I do...

Indeed that is all it does, just connect Teensy to the display.

You don't need that circuit board. It's just wires and 1 resistor. But it sure is convenient if you retest the library every several months, as I do...

No doubt the board is convenient. I will just be making other connections so I plan to redesign a new board to make the connections. The wording on the PJRC website essentially saying you can directly connect the 4.0/4.1 board to the display but then showing a picture of a 4.0/4.1 connected to your board with additional electrical components then to the display is confusing.

I am new to the Teensy world ... currently have deployed a simple MIDI project for use with my virtual pipe organ ... and I'm interested in tinkering with the TFT Touchscreen. I will plan to use the "purple test board" to make the connections between the display and a Teensy 3.2. Am I correct (based on what was posted in this thread earlier) that I just need to provide the 100 ohm resistor on the purple board? Is there a pointer to what functions the other parts in the BOM provide (aside from the power connector and voltage regulator)? From the pics on the TFT Touchscreen product page, looks like I'll also want to get 3 14 pin sockets to mount on the purple board and 1 14 pin header for the display board. Any other hints will be greatly appreciated.

- Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back