Which Pin Headers for Teensy 4.0 and Audio Board rev. D

Status
Not open for further replies.

OaklandMisfit

Greetings Teensy community,

So after a few years using Arduino boards, I took the plunge and ordered my first Teensy board, which I just received today. It will be used in a small effects box for synthesizers (filters, delay and reverb), kinda like a guitar pedal. I also plan on adding a small display showing a simple spectrum analyzer, we'll see if I can get that to work. The entire project will live inside a small enclosure, and between the Teensy+audio board, the pots, display, connectors and the PCB, space will be at a premium.

As I look into assembling the Teensy 4.0 and the Audio Board rev. D, I see a few options: Teensy above, Teensy below, regular pin headers, pin headers with the double insulator, and pin headers + sockets. The Teensy+audio board will be mounted on a PCB (or proto board). I prefer having the Teensy above the audio board because it looks cleaner and gives easier access to the button. I am not using a microphone, so that's not an issue. Also, the Teensy 4.0 and the audio board are the same length, so an SD card sticks out a bit and is easy to insert or remove, so not an issue either.

I have narrowed it down to 2 options: regular pin headers, or pin headers with double insulator. The height is the critical factor. With the regular pin headers, the entire assembly is 13mm tall (0.5"), and with the double insulators the assembly is 19mm tall (0.75"), which is a significant difference considering the dimensions of enclosures.

This brings me to my question: is it ok to use the regular headers? Is the double insulator really necessary (it is recommended on the product page of the audio board)? What comes to mind is heat dissipation. With the taller headers, there is more room between the boards for cooling. I don't know how hot these devices get, and if it matters.

Are there other factors to consider? Any info will help, thanks!

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back