Arduino Pro IDE and other IDE options

mocher72

As Arduino Pro seems to be the future for the Arduino platform is there plans for Teensy support.

https://github.com/arduino/arduino-pro-ide/releases

Yes, I know its still at Alpha but a debugger would be great :)

Having used python and other programming IDE in the past (especially the old Borland Delphi app in the day), I was looking for something much more advanced than the standard Arduino software.

I'm currently also looking at a couple more options:-
PlatformIO on top of VSCode which seems very useable but a little confusing to setup and use and is completely free. Works well with the Teensy addons
Visual Micro on top of MS Visual Studio 2019 Community. Free up to limited project sizes. Fully supports the Teensy platform. Easy to display the module info and drill into the definitions. I already use VSC2019 for other programming tasks and prefer it to VSCode.

I also sometimes embedded platforms other than Teensy so Visual Micro is probably swinging me as it has very good support for a lot of platforms.
Do Teensy directly with with Visual Micro?

I don't mind paying for good quality software tools for making programming easier. I would really like options with debugging functionality.

Are there any other recommended toolchains that people are using for Teensy?

I routinely use VS 2017 with Visual Micro (registered version).
I like it very much; sometimes it has looong pauses (to the point that VS complains about the Visual Micro extension) but all in all it works very well.
I don't know what PlatformIO is and don't use Arduino IDE.

I've been using PlatformIO for a good bit of time now and have been incredibly pleased with it. It's got a *couple* rough edges, but it works pretty well out of the box. Reading the documentation linked in the platformio.ini file it creates, or the READMEs it puts in various folders when it scaffolds a project goes a long way. It's super customizable, and I particularly enjoy how you can define project-local packages that blend in with it's package manager that gets them from it's repositories as well.

PlatformIO *does* support debugging (for boards later than Teensy 3.0), but you'd need a J-LINK tool to debug on a Teensy 3.1+ (see here)

I will say I haven't used Visual Micro (because like XFer said, I've seen many people talking about it hanging and such), but I do keep an eye on it because VS2019 is my daily driver for most of my development, so I've always liked the idea of what Visual Micro offers.

VisualMicro does not really hang; it just takes say 20s pauses once in awhile, for whatever reason. :confused:
Not common, but happens.

I tried installing VisualMicro a couple weeks ago. I had used it two years ago a little bit, and really liked the Visual Studio IDE for the context sensitive help, autocomplete, etc. It wasn't free anymore though? It just had a 30 day trial. Some googling found a forum post by the developer saying they did away with the free version with daily nag because no one was buying.

I'd be very interested if Teensyduino is going to support Arduino Pro IDE.

Since it was mentioned, how does Debug work on the Teensy 3.6? I thought some of the debug pins went to the bootloader MCU rather than the main one. Previous discussions I read here said debugging was not possible (at least on 3.5/3.6).

Back