Launch webpage on plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeahtuna

I would like to have a way to have a webpage load when my T3.6 based device is plugged in on Windows / macOS. Anyone have an idea of how I might do this? The only thing I can come up with is to have a tiny 'USB drive' with a link. Is there a better solution?

Rob

First up, note that if this was trivial to do it would be an attack vector. At one stage you could do this with USB storage and an autoplay that sent internet explorer off somewhere but would be somewhat alarmed if that was still possible on any sensibly configured system. There are some options that use USB keyboard code to type out the address, the polite way is to ask the user to open a browser of their choice and then press a device button to have it type address, the impolite way is to steal the mouse and keyboard and try various blind key/movements to get a browser open and address entered.

In general USB devices are not supposed to be able to cause arbitrary execution to happen on the host computer.

I never thought of the keyboard interface. Interesting, but still but if there is no software installed when the device is plugged in, it would be impossible to ask for permission. Thanks for the idea though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back