External USB for Data / Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylpickle

Hey Guys,

Are there any diagrams floating around out there that shows how to replace the current Data/power microusb via an external usb like this?

https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail...oducts/MUSBD111M1?qs=YTQiE72mYlK8K4uMCg2FWQ==

Im going to mount it on a PCB breakout im making but i've read through the external power / USB pages but im looking to use this panel mounted USB instead of the onboard MICRO USB.

Are there any tech guides that im missing?

oh sorry.

Teensy 4.0 :)

Yeah as I'm designing my PCB i thought routing ti directly would be easy enough rather than an external cable.

T_4.0 doesn't have alternate device pads. An adapter like linked would be the best - versus desoldering and trying to get them wired from the top connector's former spot.

im using a 4.0, but I'm also willing to use the 4.1 because of the extra IO for future use. I might go down that path as it seems more flexible. :)

im using a 4.0, but I'm also willing to use the 4.1 because of the extra IO for future use. I might go down that path as it seems more flexible. :)

The Teensy 4.1 also does not have the alternative device pads for the standard USB device. The USB D-/D+ pads underneath the Teensy are for the secondary USB host connector. Paul has said that the issue was that putting pads in like the Teensy 3.x processors had made the USB connection unreliable at 480 Mbits/second.

So if you just want to power the Teensy, but are willing to use the built-in USB connector to program it, you could just connect the external USB to VIN and ground (or VUSB and ground). On the Teensy 4.x, since there is no separate analog ground, it means you can use the first 2 pins (VIN, ground) on the right side (with the USB adapter pointing up). You could use either a panel mount USB mount, or perhaps a 5.5mm x 2.1mm power jack.

For safety sake, you may want to include a transistor setup to prevent one USB from feeding the other. Or if it is ok to always use the external power connection when programming, cut the solder trace between VUSB and VIN.

T_4.0 has under USB pads for USB Host.
T_4.1 does present a small pad for each of D+/D- for device - but YMMV as it is 480 Mbps usb - not the slower 12 Mbps of prior T_3.x's.

Plug in micro USB to desired alternative should work on either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back