Connecting TOSLINK/SPDIF signal of a TV to Teensy 3.6 DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am using the digital audio output (toslink) of a TV and I want the sound to be played on one of my Teensy 3.6 DACs. The stereo will come later.

I got the code from @gfvalvo,(https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/45394-SPDIF-Input-and-Output?highlight=s/pdif) and I use the same device as him (WM8804 S/PDIF and IIS/I2S Audio Signal Transceiver).
The device is in master mode and the Teensy is in slave mode for the I2S connection.
Question: on the WM8804, there are the connections
LRCLK <-> pin 23
BCLK <-> pin 9
DOUT <-> pin 13
GND <-> GND (!)
* 5V_IN not connected, the WM8804 already being powered
* MCLK not connected (because Teensy in slave mode)
Is that correct?

Seemingly, the LRCLK signal is re-used as a clock for the DAC.

In gfvalvo's code, is the LRCLK signal reused on pin 29 of the Teensy?
I have a doubt because of the method:
void AudioOutputAnalogSyncLRCLK::enableDmaRequest() {
// Enable PIN29 to trigger DMA
// Call this during setup() after we're sure AudioInputWM8804Slave constructor has run
CORE_PIN23_CONFIG |= PORT_PCR_IRQC(2); // pin 29, PTC10, I2S0_RX_FS
}
PIN23 or PIN29?
I admit that I don't master the concepts of DMA and I don't know the Teensy port registers (I come from the Arduino's world).

Another difficulty will certainly come from the fact that the TV signal is sampled at 48 kHz from what I understand.
However, my main concern is that no signal comes out of the DAC at the moment.
Any help is welcome!

I see that I missed showing a connection in the circuit diagram from my post that you linked. The diagram should show that LRCLK connects to both Pins 23 and 29 on the T3.2. I did this because I wasn't sure if the same Pin (23) could be used as both the LRCLK input and as the DMA trigger for DAC readings. Since it was just a proof-of-concept design, I took the simpler approach (connect to Pin 29 also). You may want to explore the possibility of using one pin for both functions.

I'd also recommend checking the pin assignments for T3.6 as my design used T3.2.

I admit that I don't master the concepts of DMA and I don't know the Teensy port registers
Learning about both would be a worthwhile exercise if you're going to continue interacting with the Audio library at such a low level in the hardware.

Another difficulty will certainly come from the fact that the TV signal is sampled at 48 kHz from what I understand.
It will work just fine at 48 Ksamples/s as long as the SPDIF input is setting the sample rate. Audio library objects that depend on the Teensy setting the sample rate won't work. That's why I created a modified class for the DAC. I'm not sure if synthesis objects will work. You may need to adjust modify the requested frequency to account for the different sample rate. Same goes for the coefficients of filter objects.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back