Teensy 3.2 with external MCP2515/Tranceiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonderplum

I have several MCP2515/TJA1050 transceiver breakouts that I would like to use with a Teensy 3.2. ie not using the built in Canbus controller. Probably the CS is the key here. Anyone help here? Building Nema2000 reader.

hooking it up to teensy's SPI is no different than hooking it to an arduino. But you have to find a working library for that chip, many versions can be found on github. The one built into Teensy has better performance though and much more features

I guess I can choose any pin for CS to external MCP2515. Have not got a schematic of Teensy 3.2. is one available? Does the Teensy 3.2 use an MCP2515? if it does what CS does it use. Do not want conflict. Plan to use ttlappalainen NMEA2000 Library on GITHUB

I guess the NEMA2000 library (ttlappalainen) will need to be tweaked to use the external MCP2515 rather than Teensy's built in. Will order some Transceiver only boards so I can use built-in Canbus Controller in the future.

you could always go into the library source and change the teensy's #ifdef to something other than what teensy detects as, so it wouldn't use the onboard controller or occupy resources, and it should still work with the external chip

Thanks TonTon81 and Paul for your help. I think I am good to go for now. Will report back in on progress when in occurs. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back