Teensyduino 1.53 Beta #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
more on 1.8.13
maybe the guys at Arduino are ok after all - if you go into preferences and turn off
"check for updates on start", get out of Arduino, shut down windows, reboot
windows then that pesky message seems to go away - i hope forever. maybe
previous versions did not not default that to "on".

but i still wonder if it is better to use 1.8.5 which is very tried and true or to use
1.8.13 because it may have better features? any opinions?

Check for updates at start was annoying and turned off here long ago.

I keep moving with the newest as TeensyDuino updates - seems to improve - especially the version after they screw something up :)

For use with Teensy on Linux & Windows & older MacOS, all the supported versions of Arduino are about the same. Use whichever you like. On the new MacOS Catalina, we're providing an all-in-one download where Arduino 1.8.13 is the only option.

On this thread, I'm really hoping to stay focused on 1 question: are there any remaining problems in 1.53-beta3 which need to be fixed before a final non-beta 1.53 release?

We can also chat at length about the Arduino software. But unless it's a bug in need of fixing for the 1.53 release, let's have that conversation on another thread.

opps ... Meant to add on another thread ... I opened an ADC example and modified to read 8 pins fast and that worked on T_4.0 and T_4.1

Since then I plugged a (known to work before) Bluetooth dongle onto T_4.1 with USBHost and paired a mouse to work.

So not seeing any troubles in those things as far as build and run with new TD 1.53

more on 1.8.13
maybe the guys at Arduino are ok after all - if you go into preferences and turn off
"check for updates on start", get out of Arduino, shut down windows, reboot
windows then that pesky message seems to go away - i hope forever. maybe
previous versions did not not default that to "on".

but i still wonder if it is better to use 1.8.5 which is very tried and true or to use
1.8.13 because it may have better features? any opinions?

A simple solution to not checking the json is to go to "File => Preferences" and un-check the box that says "Check for updates on startup". That should prevent it from going to the internet to check the JSON.

I've been testing 1.53 beta 3 and have only found one issue related to Arduino 1.8.13:

One of the fixes in Arduino 1.8.13 is to once again allow libraries marked as 'precompiled' in the library properties
to contain a pre-compiled static library as well as wrapper source code to interface with that library. The
pre-compiled static library is an archive (*.a placed in a subfolder named after the target architecture). I'll call
it 'archive' to avoid confusion with the Arduino use of 'library'.

As it stands with Teensyduino 1.53 beta 3, those fixes made in Arduino builder do not take effect. The builder
finds the archives inside pre-compiled libraries and adds them to the {compiler.libraries.ldflags} property, but
that property is not used in the link pattern for Teensyduino. The result is that the wrapper source gets compiled,
but the archive does not get linked, hence the wrapper code contains calls to unknown symbols and linking fails.

The fix is a simple one: Add {compiler.libraries.ldflags} to the link (combine) pattern. Also, to avoid any issues
when there are no archives to be linked in, initialize {compiler.libraries.ldflags} to an empty string. This matches
the changes made to Arduino's own platform.txt.
Here is the corresponding change for AVR:
https://github.com/arduino/ArduinoCore-avr/commit/bca2493a5c68ba5c0a2c6963b462d917794bfb2d
And also for SAMD:
https://github.com/arduino/ArduinoCore-samd/commit/37c8d4f36a86824def2e16a6e3701a4b41ea0078

I have confirmed that changing platform.txt in teensyduino accordingly allows Arduino libraries with mixed
source and pre-compiled code to link.

Here's my diff:
Code:
--- hardware/teensy/avr/platform.txt    2020-07-01 08:53:42.503934820 -0700
+++ hardware/teensy/avr/platform.txt.orig       2020-07-01 08:43:42.707939006 -0700
@@ -6,7 +6,6 @@
 compiler.path={runtime.hardware.path}/../tools/
 compiler.objcopy.eep.flags=-O ihex -j .eeprom --set-section-flags=.eeprom=alloc,load --no-change-warnings --change-section-lma .eeprom=0
 compiler.elf2hex.flags=-O ihex -R .eeprom
-compiler.libraries.ldflags=

## Preprocessor Includes
 recipe.preproc.includes="{compiler.path}{build.toolchain}{build.command.g++}" -M -MG -MP -x c++ -w {build.flags.cpp} {build.flags.cpu} {build.flags.defs} -DARDUINO={runtime.ide.version} -DARDUINO_{build.board} -DF_CPU={build.fcpu} -D{build.usbtype} -DLAYOUT_{build.keylayout} {includes} "{source_file}"
@@ -35,7 +34,7 @@
 recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{build.toolchain}{build.command.ar}" rcs "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}"

## Link
-recipe.c.combine.pattern="{compiler.path}{build.toolchain}{build.command.linker}" {build.flags.optimize} {build.flags.ld} {build.flags.ldspecs} {build.flags.cpu} -o "{build.path}/{build.project_name}.elf" {object_files} {compiler.libraries.ldflags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "-L{build.path}" {build.flags.libs}
+recipe.c.combine.pattern="{compiler.path}{build.toolchain}{build.command.linker}" {build.flags.optimize} {build.flags.ld} {build.flags.ldspecs} {build.flags.cpu} -o "{build.path}/{build.project_name}.elf" {object_files} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "-L{build.path}" {build.flags.libs}

## Patch ELF - TODO: not supported by Arduino 1.6.6 builder
 recipe.elfpatch.pattern="{compiler.path}/hardware/tools/{build.elfpatch}" -mmcu={build.mcu} "{build.path}/{build.project_name}.elf" "{sketch_path}/disk"

Check for updates at start was annoying and turned off here long ago.

I keep moving with the newest as TeensyDuino updates - seems to improve - especially the version after they screw something up :)

I also tried TeensyDuino now, and they really corrected their mistakes.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back