2 questions about teensy 4.0/4.1

F-73P

1) What are the dimensions, in particular can they be inserted in a breadboard/veroboard (is there a link to the schematics)?

2) Can mcuXpresso be used to download code onto the devices (have been using i.MX RT EVK's, my project is written in C/assembly)?

Thanks, I'll take it that the answer to question 2 is "no, you can't download code to Teensy using MCUXpresso".

Teensy Loader can open a .hex file and program it onto Teensy. There's a stand-alone version here:

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/loader.html

So at least in theory, you could use any software capable of producing output in .hex format and open that file with Teensy Loader to program it onto Teensy 4.0.

In practice, there are a huge number of small details to get right for the binary data within the .hex file to actually run correctly. We don't support MCUXpresso, so realistically the sort of answer you can expect here is something along the lines of "did you try it with Arduino" or "here's a .hex file which Arduino created - does it work?"

If your goal is to use MCUXpresso, honestly you'll probably be much happier using one of NXP's eval boards.

Thanks, I'll take it that the answer to question 2 is "no, you can't download code to Teensy using MCUXpresso".

Opps - after so much web clicking to check for answer to #1 seems it was forgotten as I rushed off to make a note on the web updates thread.

- Paul gave of course a better version of the intended answer.

... Except the NXP Eval board wouldn't be BBoard or VeroBoard friendly

Opps - after so much web clicking to check for answer to #1 seems it was forgotten as I rushed off to make a note on the web updates thread

No probs, I do it all the time :)

... Except the NXP Eval board wouldn't be BBoard or VeroBoard friendly

Yes that's a big downside to these boards (I've used a lot). I need assembly since I'm writing optimised arbitrary-precision rational and floating-point arithmetic routines.

Paul - that was "breadboard/veroboard" not ref to other less than Teensy BulletinBoard forums.

F-73P : assembler works with Teensy toolchain - though you have lots of history with prior tools - probably including debugger - would not be as productive to start. There is now a usable GDB cmdline interface ...

You can use MCUXpresso to develop code for Teensy 4.x, you just have to create a hex file from the .axf file. Just right click on the .axf file and select Binary Utilities and then Create hex. The hex files are compatable with the Teensy 4.x loader. Just be aware the MCUXpresso uses entirely different startup code and linker files, and applications built with it run out of flash by default, not ram like Teensy. Many of the MCUXpresso examples for the MIMXRT1060 EVK board work with Teensy 4.x, but some require tweeking. The MIMXRT1060 EVK board uses the IMXRT1060 MCU same as Teensy 4.x, but with a different package, however as far as I can tell the pinouts are the same for both parts. The MIMXRT1060 EVK is a MUCH different board than Teensy 4.x, so for many of the MCUXpresso demos the hardware is different, so you have to adjust for Teensy using the MCUXpresso Config tools. I use the MIMXRT1060 EVK board and the MCUXpreso with its nice debugger then port the code to Teensy. It's a nice IDE but as mentioned getting help from NXP community forum is sometimes difficult and some of the NXP documentation is good but some of it isn't and a lot of it is hard to find. The PJRC forum is many times better!
John

Thanks, that's good to know. I think I'll add a spot for the Teensy 4.1 on my board:

50063029253_e4b510632a_z.jpg

I've been using the i.MX RT1010 and will probably order the 1060 soon.

Could you please share examples of how you convert an 1060EVK example and vice versa?

You can use MCUXpresso to develop code for Teensy 4.x, you just have to create a hex file from the .axf file. Just right click on the .axf file and select Binary Utilities and then Create hex. The hex files are compatable with the Teensy 4.x loader. Just be aware the MCUXpresso uses entirely different startup code and linker files, and applications built with it run out of flash by default, not ram like Teensy. Many of the MCUXpresso examples for the MIMXRT1060 EVK board work with Teensy 4.x, but some require tweeking. The MIMXRT1060 EVK board uses the IMXRT1060 MCU same as Teensy 4.x, but with a different package, however as far as I can tell the pinouts are the same for both parts. The MIMXRT1060 EVK is a MUCH different board than Teensy 4.x, so for many of the MCUXpresso demos the hardware is different, so you have to adjust for Teensy using the MCUXpresso Config tools. I use the MIMXRT1060 EVK board and the MCUXpreso with its nice debugger then port the code to Teensy. It's a nice IDE but as mentioned getting help from NXP community forum is sometimes difficult and some of the NXP documentation is good but some of it isn't and a lot of it is hard to find. The PJRC forum is many times better!
John

I would like to do this as well. Could you please share examples of how you convert an 1060EVK example and vice versa?

Back