Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Teensy 4.1 Based CNC Controller

I had a look at the grblHAL repositiory. It indeed has much improved lathe support. Looks like I have a nice winter project :-)

I've built up one of these boards as a replacement for for a g2core based CNC setup on a mill. I had been using ChiliPeppr to control it, and was pretty happy with that setup partly because it's one of the few controller setups that runs on a Macintosh. I've got an old Mac laptop that I'd like to continue using for this. My initial testing showed that ChiliPeppr grbl 1.1 doesn't work well with grblHAL. It'll run the motors, but the position counters and 3d preview don't update.

I have a Windows PC in my home office that I use for computer graphics, and I have been testing the board with that running the Universal Code Sender GrblHAL fork, and that works, but I'd rather not have to get another windows PC just to run it.

Anyone know of a Gcode sender that runs on a Macintosh that will play nicely with this controller?

Hi John. Have you tried grblHAL with compatibility settings? It takes a recompile though I have prebuilt 3, 4 and 5 axis versions on the github page. Or, you can build it yourself from the grblHAL github site. Follow the instructions in the wiki. The recently introduced changes to the build system make it easy to configure.

On senders - UGS and bCNC work with grblHAL built with compatibility settings as well. Most java based senders work though you might have to play with the compatibility settings. (I think a section in the wiki needs to be created.)

If you use a Windows PC, your best bet is the CGode Sender built for grblHAL. It truly is the best one out there. Even though it is in a "pre-release" state, beta 6 is very stable. I have been using it for a while now. Just recently I used it to make quite a few signs for a recent wedding and they all came out great. Visualizations are realtime. It's grbl config section is head and shoulders above the other senders. It's probing capabilities are outstanding - especially height map probing to mill/route uneven surfaces. Great for engravings and PCB milling. Works with simple contact probes as well as 3D probes. If you use it, be sure to check the site regularly - Terje, the developer, is actively adding features as well as fixing bugs.

Ah, I didn't know about the compatibility setting builds. I'll give that a try, thanks.

I hear you on using the forked grblHAL Universal Gcode Sender. It does look like the best option. I was just trying to avoid getting another Windows PC to install in the garage when I already have an old Mac that's been doing the job for a few years now.

I figure these grblHAL controllers are likely the future of hobby cnc work, given that grbl on 8bit avr micro controllers is at a dead end. These faster and more capable controllers have so much more headroom for improved features and are getting to be so inexpensive these days that I've gotta imagine they'll be everywhere soon.

I'm hoping that the UGC and bCNC folks get grblHAL religion. It is capable of taking significant share from both grbl "classic" and LinuxCNC.

But, to be honest, java based GCode Senders have their limitations. It would be great to get a native IOS app but, since there isn't one for grbl classic, I won't hold my breath.

If you are going to be doing a lot of CNC work, it's probably worth getting a cheap/old Win PC (even win7) to run the sender I linked to previously. It supports ethernet which is highly preferable to USB. My BoB also supports ethernet, by the way, just add the magjack.

Hey buddy you are controller just looks amazing. i think you can help me as i am also looking for GRBL CNC Controllers and i don't know how to make them so looking to purchase. So according to you which controller will be good for me. My requirement are :-

Supports 4 axis
    Supports integration with 3 stepper motors
    and if its comes in good price range then it will be jerry on the cake. I also check one article on these GRBL CNC Controllers and got some good recommendation but want to know other options from community.
    You controller is also just awesome.
    Did you make customized cnc controllers ? If yes, then i think you can help me
    Or if you know any best option then plz let me know

Either way have a good day

Quote Originally Posted by Giancook55 View Post
    Hey buddy you are controller just looks amazing. i think you can help me as i am also looking for GRBL CNC Controllers and i don't know how to make them so looking to purchase. So according to you which controller will be good for me. My requirement are :-

Supports 4 axis
    Supports integration with 3 stepper motors
    and if its comes in good price range then it will be jerry on the cake. I also check one article on these GRBL CNC Controllers and got some good recommendation but want to know other options from community.
    You controller is also just awesome.
    Did you make customized cnc controllers ? If yes, then i think you can help me
    Or if you know any best option then plz let me know

Either way have a good day
    Well, all the controllers on that list are based on the old 8-bit Arduino design and only support 3 Axes. Also, a lot of them don't have any isolation or noise control so EMI can cause problems like controller reset while running. In my design, I have tried to use best practices to minimize EMI problems. It supports up to 5 Axes so that meets your needs. My board is available on Tindie and you can learn more about it here.