Which CANBus enabled Teensy has a -40 to 85 deg C temperature range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhave.sh

Looking for the right Teensy for an avionics setup

We are designing our avionics setup but have hit a bump - we need to interface 6 digital temperature sensors (DS18B20) which all have a 1-Wire interface, to our CANBus line.

Currently I am looking at the Teensy 3.2 to accomplish this - it supports CANBus and I believe there is a 1-Wire Arduino library that Paul wrote which can be adapted for the Teensy.

In this ideal case, what is the temperature rating for the Teensy 3.2? Is it -40 to 85 (good for avionics) as Paul has mentioned earlier? I need proof of this because this is a serious design and a datasheet is needed to back this claim.

Even if I can get a datasheet for the crystal oscillator (which seems to be the only part with narrow temperature range), it would be much much appreciated!! :D

i've had teensy 3.5 in my old car for years throughout winter ice and summer heat on canbus running 24/7... it is pretty stable, but you could always run some tests with a furnace and a freezer if needed :p, Obviously keeping moisture out is priority

I've run many Teensie's down to -76C outside temperature. For avionics your're always going to switch on on the ground and keep them on for the whole flight so the actual internal temperature of the chip doesn't get that cold. If your aircraft is going to park outside in Alaska then it needs to be able to start up from cold.

But PJRC's production process isn't certified for cold and you have no idea on the temperature specifications on all the other components on the Teensy board. Capacitors in particular lose a lot of performance when cold. (Look for X7R type - they have good cold performance and you can usually oversize them so that they still meet the minimum performance when cold.) If possible, instrument your board and add a heater resistor and a MOSFET to drive it.

The DS81B20s are great sensors but they have a limit of -55C. Usually components keep working below their datasheet temperature but the temperatures sensors KNOW how cold it is and they stop giving an output at exactly -55C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back