Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Teensy 4.1 Ethernet Kit - Available Pre-assembled?

Teensy 4.1 Ethernet Kit - Available Pre-assembled?

Hi folks, thanks for all your work on Teensy!

Is it possible to purchase the Ethernet 4.1 kit pre-assembled? We have an upcoming project where we are considering the 4.1. We would need quite a few and I'm trying to get an idea of how much we can reduce the amount of assembly that would be required.

Alternatively, is it possible to prepare a fully assembled design in something like kicad so that we can have it printed and assembled by someone like JLCPCB?

Any advice appreciated!

Sorry, that kit is only sold unassembled.

Quote Originally Posted by mindtree View Post
    Alternatively, is it possible to prepare a fully assembled design in something like kicad so that we can have it printed and assembled by someone like JLCPCB?
    I haven't used JLCPCB's assembly service, but their web page seems to say "Surface Mount(SMT) - Single sided placement" for "Assembly Types". All the parts in that kit are through-hole.

I suppose you could design an all SMT version. You'd need to find a substitute magjack that comes in SMT. Probably get to contact JLCPCB directly about what magjacks they can solder.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    Sorry, that kit is only sold unassembled.

I haven't used JLCPCB's assembly service, but their web page seems to say "Surface Mount(SMT) - Single sided placement" for "Assembly Types". All the parts in that kit are through-hole.

I suppose you could design an all SMT version. You'd need to find a substitute magjack that comes in SMT. Probably get to contact JLCPCB directly about what magjacks they can solder.
    I use JLCPCB's assembly service and it works pretty well within some limitations but there are no magjacks (or any other connectors) in their library. So they really aren't a candidate. I've been trying to get them to stock a microUSB connector and they have said "we are studying it" but kind of doubt they will do it. Their proposition relies on having a lot of parts available on their PnP machines and a big connector like even a microUSB takes up the space of 2 or 3 other part feeders. I bet a magjack takes even more.

JLCPCB assembly service is incredibly cheap for what you get. Their library parts cost are super low - quantity 1 pricing from them is cheaper than volume pricing from US and EU distis. If interested, take a browse here.

But I think it's worth people asking them - they do seem to be fairly responsive to (potential) customer input.