Teensy Organ

Status
Not open for further replies.

luni

For a semester project in stage design my daughter constructed and built (with a little help :rolleyes:) a funny little barrel organ.

A T3.6 reads and parses midi files stored on an SD card and controls the 16 valves of the organ. The valves are actuated by micro servos which are driven by a PCA9685 16 PWM board. Teensy wise not a big deal but the effect is quite funny.

Here the 'making of' video if somebody is interested :) https://youtu.be/CT8jgxc9tUY

organ.jpg

Very nice !! I especially liked the tunable stops in the tubes !! Please pass along our compliments !!

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Thanks, I'll tell her.
Regarding the stops: We started with fixed length tubes but tuning the pipes with the lathe was a nightmare :) Now with the stops tuning works nicely.

In a similar way, my son made several attempts to create his own "recorder" and/or "tin whistle", but quickly realized that there are many more ways to mess up the hole positions than there are to get them exactly right. In spite of his lack of ultimate success, he enjoyed the learning process nonetheless. As a result, he initiated his new-found hobby of "whistle/flute collecting". All valuable lessons come as a result of at least some failure . . . if the lessons aren't painful enough, they probably won't be remembered for very long !!

Thanks again for sharing.

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back