Detect Teensy 4.0 USB serial port

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekEE

Is there some way of detecting which serial port is connected to the Teensy 4.0 on a Windows machine? I have the following Matlab code which gives me names for serial port devices. If I plug in an Arduino Leonardo, then this code lists its serial port name as "Arduino Leonardo" so I can easily use it. However, if i plug in a Teensy 2.0 and a Teensy 4.0, both serial ports are listed as "USB Serial Device", so I can't tell which device is which. Can I either change the serial port name or is there some other method for detecting which serial port is connected to the Teensy 4.0? I only have one Teensy 4.0 connected to the system.

[err,str] = system('REG QUERY HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM');
if err
ports = [];
else
ports = regexp(str,'\\Device\\(?<type>[^ ]*) *REG_SZ *(?<port>COM.*?)\n','names');
cmd = 'REG QUERY HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ /s /f "FriendlyName" /t "REG_SZ"';
[~,str] = system(cmd);
names = regexp(str,'FriendlyName *REG_SZ *(?<name>.*?) \((?<port>COM.*?)\)','names');
[i,j] = ismember({ports.port},{names.port});
[ports(i).name] = names(j(i)).name;
end

Can you see the "Serial Number" field? That could be hardcoded?

On Windows I found "USBDeview" { http://www.nirsoft.net/ } and it shows this: Instance ID :: USB\VID_16C0&PID_0483\7684130

That has the Teensy 4.1 VID and PID and finally the Serial Number - also available as sperate fields.

Here is the same for a Teensy 4.0 - so it has a unique PID - but this is running DUAL SERIAL - so that may not be the
Instance ID :: USB\VID_16C0&PID_048B\6362860

Another Microsoft Tool "USB View" gives another look at the whole device info as well.

For the T_4.1 it shows this as a HIGH speed device - as well as Vid and Pid:
Code:
Device Descriptor:
bcdUSB:             0x0200
bDeviceClass:         0x02
bDeviceSubClass:      0x00
bDeviceProtocol:      0x00
bMaxPacketSize0:      0x40 (64)
idVendor:           0x16C0
idProduct:          0x0483
bcdDevice:          0x0280
iManufacturer:        0x01