Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Detect Teensy 4.0 USB serial port

Detect Teensy 4.0 USB serial port

Is there some way of detecting which serial port is connected to the Teensy 4.0 on a Windows machine? I have the following Matlab code which gives me names for serial port devices. If I plug in an Arduino Leonardo, then this code lists its serial port name as "Arduino Leonardo" so I can easily use it. However, if i plug in a Teensy 2.0 and a Teensy 4.0, both serial ports are listed as "USB Serial Device", so I can't tell which device is which. Can I either change the serial port name or is there some other method for detecting which serial port is connected to the Teensy 4.0? I only have one Teensy 4.0 connected to the system.

[err,str] = system('REG QUERY HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM') ;
    if err
    ports = [];
    else
    ports = regexp(str,'\\Device\\(?<type>[^ ]*) *REG_SZ *(?<port>COM.*?)\n','names');
    cmd = 'REG QUERY HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ /s /f "FriendlyName" /t "REG_SZ"';
    [~,str] = system(cmd);
    names = regexp(str,'FriendlyName *REG_SZ *(?<name>.*?) \((?<port>COM.*?)\)','names');
    [i,j] = ismember({ports.port},{names.port});
    [ports(i).name] = names(j(i)).name;
    end

Can you see the "Serial Number" field? That could be hardcoded?

On Windows I found "USBDeview" { http://www.nirsoft.net/ } and it shows this: Instance ID :: USB\VID_16C0&PID_0483\7684130

That has the Teensy 4.1 VID and PID and finally the Serial Number - also available as sperate fields.

Here is the same for a Teensy 4.0 - so it has a unique PID - but this is running DUAL SERIAL - so that may not be the
    Instance ID :: USB\VID_16C0&PID_048B\6362860

Another Microsoft Tool "USB View" gives another look at the whole device info as well.

For the T_4.1 it shows this as a HIGH speed device - as well as Vid and Pid:
    Code:
    Device Descriptor:
    bcdUSB:             0x0200
    bDeviceClass:         0x02
    bDeviceSubClass:      0x00
    bDeviceProtocol:      0x00
    bMaxPacketSize0:      0x40 (64)
    idVendor:           0x16C0
    idProduct:          0x0483
    bcdDevice:          0x0280
    iManufacturer:        0x01
    0x0409: "Teensyduino"
    iProduct:             0x02
    0x0409: "USB Serial"
    iSerialNumber:        0x03
    0x0409: "7684130"
    bNumConfigurations:   0x01

ConnectionStatus: DeviceConnected
    Current Config Value: 0x01
    Device Bus Speed:     High
    Device Address:       0x31
    Open Pipes:              3

I can see the serial number! I found this article that had some code for changing the serial number, manufacturer name, and product name.
    https://medium.com/@j0hnm4r5/changin...e-2ca76552d26d

I don't see how to read the manufacturer name and product name easily, but it looks like the serial number shows up at the end of the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum registry line

Thanks so much!