ECU running on Teensy 4.1 (and 3.5)

noisymime

I just got all the compatibility work done on the Speeduino firmware to allow support for the Teensy 4.1 and fired it up on a car. It was a 'fun' challenge deciphering the massive datasheet to get all the timers info that was needed, but I got there eventually. It uses all of the quad and PIT timers and I'll probably look at trying to use the GPT in the future as well.

It was done mostly as an academic exercise as I'm really targeting the 3.5 board, but having a ridiculous 600Mhz ECU is good for a laugh :D

Quick video of the whole thing for anyone interested: https://youtu.be/xgNpUEs6CWE

Nice. I suggest sticking with the T4 - same price and it's likely that with future features, speed is helpful.

Amazing! I remember the early versions of MegaSquirt - gosh that was like 13 years ago.
But the entire ECU board and housing looks top notch!
Perhaps you can also add in some form of dashboard display to work with this

Fun video - Nice Secret Labs chair - Go Titan!

With the T_4.1 you could add USB host ... wireless mouse and keyboard for input. Funny the poor memory gauge was pegged.

Nice. I suggest sticking with the T4 - same price and it's likely that with future features, speed is helpful.

I've got a couple of concerns with the T4 as a long term thing. The first is around timers are there aren't quite as many on the T4 as there are on the T3.5, and that's a big thing on this codebase. With the T4 I've used up all the Quad Timers + the PIT timers, so short of somehow being able to use the GPTs there's no further expansion possible for things that need timers. On the T3.5 you get the same number of timers from the FTMs alone, which leaves the PIT for future expansion.

The other big one is heat. I've not sure what the limit is on the iMXRT is, but I'm seeing rises of 25-30* C over ambient, which is going to be really pushing it in an enclosure.

Realistically the T3.5 gives more power than I'm likely to ever need. It'll only be a concern if availability becomes an issue. I'm hoping to start volume orders on these in the next few months, so will be looking to get them in the low 100s type range.

Fun video - Nice Secret Labs chair - Go Titan!

Alas, I've been a bit disappointed with it. Very much personal preference, but it's too hard for my liking.

With the T_4.1 you could add USB host ... wireless mouse and keyboard for input. Funny the poor memory gauge was pegged.

Yeah it's a bit ridiculous. The loop counter was 3 and bit full turns through :D

Alas, I've been a bit disappointed with it. Very much personal preference, but it's too hard for my liking.
Yeah it's a bit ridiculous. The loop counter was 3 and bit full turns through :D

Lots of ridiculous possibilities with T_4.1. USB not critical if the T_3.5 did the job. Great the T_4.1 mapped in usably.

The Titan seat is very firm - indeed thought I wanted a pad on it at first - but skipped that and 7 months with it finding good and fitting. Got a replacement left arm after it developed a squeek.

:confused: USB host on an ECU? What if a connected device crashes the ECU and shreds the engine? It would be a hell of a job to make that one really safe... add more timers, watchdog and backup.

Back