Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: A better LED circuit for MIDI activity indicator

A better LED circuit for MIDI activity indicator

I have a MIDI out port with an LED and 220 ohm resistor connected between pins four and five to serve as a MIDI activity indicator. The trouble is that MIDI messages are so short, that the LED is barely visible. Is there some other circuit I could make with a transistor or some other component to make the LED light for longer? I have no free iO pins, so that is not an option.

Regards,
    Rob

Looks like a 555 timer might do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahtuna View Post
    I have a MIDI out port with an LED and 220 ohm resistor connected between pins four and five to serve as a MIDI activity indicator. The trouble is that MIDI messages are so short, that the LED is barely visible. Is there some other circuit I could make with a transistor or some other component to make the LED light for longer? I have no free iO pins, so that is not an option.

Regards,
    Rob
    yeahtuna:

I needed this exact same thing in my TeensyMIDIPolySynth project. I ended up using a (boolean-like) variable to control driving the LED.

Code:
    int midi_note_activity_state = false;
    I also defined another variable that is used in the timing of illuminating & extinguishing the LED (& the defined duration):

Code:
    // keep track of how long to light the MIDI activity LED
    #define ACTIVITY_LED_DURATION_MILLIS 5
    unsigned long led_time;
    Here's an example of when the "boolean" variable is set:

Code:
    // MIDI message callback - note on
    void handleNoteOn(byte channel, byte pitch, byte velocity)
    {
       midi_note_activity_state = true;

. . .
    }  // handleNoteOn()
    And, inside of the loop() function, here's the code that actually illuminates the LED for the defined period:

Code:
          if (midi_note_activity_state == true)
          {
             digitalWrite(MIDI_NOTE_ACTIVITY_LED_PIN, HIGH);
          }

led_time = millis();
          midi_note_activity_state = false;

while ((midi_note_activity_state == false) && ((millis() - led_time) < ACTIVITY_LED_DURATION_MILLIS)) {};

digitalWrite(MIDI_NOTE_ACTIVITY_LED_PIN, LOW);
    All of this together causes the LED to turn on when activated & to normally stay on for the defined duration. If another call sets the "boolean" while the LED is illuminated, The LED will flicker quickly (with each subsequent call) & stay on for the defined duration of the last activity.

I have another set of variables for the "midi_control_activity_state" that are used to drive another LED for control messages, but did not include that additional functionality here in an attempt to minimize complexity/confusion. These two together provide a nice real-time indication of my incoming MIDI messages.

Hope that helps . . .

Good luck & have fun !!

Mark J Culross
    KD5RXT

Thanks, Mark. Unfortunately, as stated in the first post, I have no free iO pins.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahtuna View Post
    Thanks, Mark. Unfortunately, as stated in the first post, I have no free iO pins.
    yeahtuna:

So sorry, I definitely should have read your post more closely !! Can you take some of the I/O currently in use & combine thru a 74HC4067 16-to-1 analog MUX (for input sampling) or a 74HC595 (for output driving) to free up some pins ?? Otherwise, the 555 approach sounds like it would work.

Good luck & have fun !!

Mark J Culross
    KD5RXT

I changed my led from green to orange and that has made a world of difference. No need for anything fancier.