Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: control 2 steppers and a bldc motor

control 2 steppers and a bldc motor

I have a brushless dc motor and controller from a rc car. I want to eliminate the rc part and wire it to one axis of ajoy stick, along with a stepper motor on the other axis that would be used for steering, The connection on the motor controller for the receiver is 5v. There is a servo tester that can be hooked up to run the motor without the rc receiver, it just has a pot to control speed, I would need reverse as well for both motors. There will also be a third motor, another stepper that would just have a toggle switch for forward and reverse.
    I have 2-L298N Dual H Bridge DC Stepper Servo Motor Drivers and a teensy 3.2 My question is would the the 3.2 be able to control all 3 motors?

Can you reuse the existing ESC? That would be the simplest.

The L298N is probably hopeless for high-current RC model motors. And its no use for a modern stepper, that requires something like a DRV8825 module.

For controlling your steppers you can use TeensyStep https://luni64.github.io/TeensyStep/. In the applications chapter you'll find some information about modern drivers like the one MarkT mentioned. https://luni64.github.io/TeensyStep/...rivers/drivers and different stepper types https://luni64.github.io/TeensyStep/...epper/steppers
    Last edited by luni; 07-31-2020 at 01:00 PM.

Thanks, yes I want to use the ESC, If I get the DRV8825 drivers for the steppers the T3.2 will work for all 3 motors?

Great thanks, I sent the last message before I saw this post which answered my question.

Yes, the T3.2 can drive those step stick drivers - all you need is step and dir. Just make sure you give it 3.3V on the logic supply input. Pololu has a number available and a good comparison chart.

Power is a different issue - many need more than 5V for motor power. Maybe you would be better off with a 5V hobby servo controller for the steering?

Thanks for responding, right now I'm just trying to gather the parts and materials for the project. I have the the BLDC with the ESC and 1 stepper if it's big enough. All 3 motors are 24 volts, and will need forward, reverse and speed control. the ESC for the brushless dc motor uses 5v for the radio receiver, which I want to replace with the micro controller and joystick. I would like to stick to 5v if possable even if I have to get a different board, which one would work?
    There's a lot of info on how to make the steeper's work, I'm not sure how to get the BLDC to work using the teensy instead of the radio controller.

I found this from another forum, with a similar project. (trying to run a rc motor without the radio controller) He's talking about why a servo tester works when connected to an ESC. Anyone know how I might go about getting the teensy to do it instead?

"The ESC runs the motor, but it needs a pulse width modulated throttle signal or the ESC will not arm and will not start the motor.
    A switch hooked to the ESC, a motor and battery will not run, because a switch does not produce a pwm signal.
    Normally the reciever generates the pwm signal in proportion to throttle stick position, and the ESC reads that signal and sends power to the motor in proportion.
    With no receiver, something needs to provide a pulse width signal to the servo lead on the ESC, and that is why the servo tester is needed.''