Teensy 3.6 not blinking and program reboot button not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcofer

Hello,

I am trying to use a Teensy 3.6 that is soldered into a breadboard. I have a SparkFun AS7265x spectral triad attached to the Teensy. When my USB cord is plugged into the Teensy and the computer, the spectral triad lights up (meaning that it is getting power through the Teensy and breadboard). However, the Teensy's light does not blink and the program/reboot button does not work. If I try to upload any code, the Teensy Loader application says to push the Teensy's program button, but does not recognize it when I do so. I am concerned because the Teensy's light actually DID come on about an hour ago when it was first attached to the computer via the USB cord, and the program/reboot button was initially working. Now, it is not. I have attached and reattached the USB cord, restarted my computer, and checked the wiring on the breadboard. Is there something else I can try before assuming that this Teensy is broken and buying a new one? Thank you in advance.

If that hardware is still connected, remove everything from the Teensy 3.6 except the USB cable.

If it's still not responding, try measuring the voltage at VIN (which should be approx 5V if USB power is ok) and 3.3V (which checks if the voltage regulator is working). If you don't have good 3.3V power, nothing will work.

If you're not getting good 3.3V power, rarely is it the regulator. Usually low voltage means something is drawing far too much power or shorting the 3.3V power to GND. Sometimes that is a wiring mistake which takes the voltage very close to zero. The good news for those cases is the regulator has overcurrent and thermal protection, so it will usually work again when the short is removed. Unfortunately, damage to the main chip can also cause it to sort-of short the power through the chip. You'll usually see something like 0.7 to 1.3 volts, but not zero like with a piece of wire. Usually there's no way to salvage the hardware from that sort of damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back