Getting 0-5V on teensy 3.6 analog pin with Bi-Directional Logic Voltage Level Convert

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomanP

Dear all,
I have a set of probes measuring meteorological data. The data is then communicated as an analog voltage between 0 and 5 volts. Since teensy pins cannot tolerate voltages above 3.3V, I've decided to use a Bi-Directional Logic Voltage Level Converter from sparkfun (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12009) to scale the voltage down. However, the level converter needs to be powered by a 3.3v source and a 5v source.
Could anyone suggest a way for me to generate 5V to power the translator? (besides using an additional 5v battery)
Thank you for your help!

I don't think that will work the way you expect. That SF converter is for logic, not analog signals. It does not scale the voltage level. If the output signal is truly analog and can read anywhere between 0 and 5V, you probably just need a simple resistive voltage divider - 2 resistors. Easiest to do a 50% divider (both resistors equal) and then a 2.5V reading is your max.

I say probably because there could be an issue of input impedance for the AD converter. If you keep the resistors fairly low, say 2K, then it should be ok.

Last edited:
Dear PhilB,

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you very much for your answer. I don't know why I haven't thought of that before.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back