Teensy 4.0 Running Very Warm on Blink Sketch

Status
Not open for further replies.

dusterthefirst

Basically the title. I had purchased 2 teensy 4.0s basically when they came out, and have just now gotten around to using them, but I am running into this weird problem. I have my teensy connected to my dekstop over usb, and nothing else is attached to it, no pins soldered on, no battery, nothing, just the usb cable, yet the board seems to run very warm, uncomfortable to the touch. Is there a possibility that the board may be faulty, or is this a normal operating temperature for the board.

I have my teensy connected to my dekstop over usb, and nothing else is attached to it, no pins soldered on, no battery, nothing, just the usb cable, yet the board seems to run very warm, uncomfortable to the touch.

What clock speed is set in the board settings? 600MHz maybe? If so it will definitely run warm.

What clock speed is set in the board settings? 600MHz maybe? If so it will definitely run warm.

Im using PIO for programming it, and it looks like that is the default clock that they use. Would you recommend using a lower clock speed, or is the board running warm safe?

Last edited:
Im using PIO for programming it, and it looks like that is the default clock that they use. Would you recommend using a lower clock speed, or is the board running warm safe?

Use the lowest clock rate that works, 24MHz is fine for blink! 150MHz is usually plenty otherwise unless really
serious processing power.

Warm isn't a problem, except for power draw from a battery.

The T4 and T4.1 will feel warm to the touch at 600 MHz. I've measured the 5 that I have and they all measure around 30C in an approximately 20C ambient room - a 10C rise is really nothing to worry about. If you measure yours and it's well more than 10C above room temp you might have a problem.

By the way, there is a considerable drop in current consumption at 520 MHz and a subsequent heat reduction but I didn't note the actual value. I'm now running the T4.x at 520 MHz because of that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back