New Teensy 4.1 won't be recognized by Bootloader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luki_

Hello there!
I currently have a problem with my newly bought teeensy 4.1. It just can't communicate with any PC or Notebook(win10). It get's power and runs the prefab blink program. When I try to upload any program(the example-blink) from the Arduino IDE with the parameters (Serial, teensy 4.1, 600Mhz,[no port]), the Teensy.exe pops up and tells me to push the resetbutton on the teensy. I did it but nothing happened with the teensy software. The teensy 4.1 though turns off the blinking led and turns on the red little led which indicates something with the bootloader but nothing happens.

To solve this problem I:
- reinstalled Arduino IDE, Port drivers and Teensyduino software
- used a different pc and came to the same error
- followed the debugging steps on the website and on other forum threads
- switching usb cable(all of them had data routes)

I think it has to do with the hardware. My PC just cant identify the teensy as a device. Nothing appears in the Device manager and I dont get a message when pluging it in. It seems like there just is no physical data route between my PC and the teensy.

I hope you can help me out or support me with getting a new one!
Thanks in Advance!

Well, you did all the actions you would normally do with such a problem.
It seems like the DC voltages onboard the T41 are OK.
I can think of 2 more things:
1. Can you visually check whether all pins of USB connector are properly soldered to the board? See the red circle in the image below.

T41.jpg

2. Did you insert the USB cable far enough into the USB connector? When you insert a USB cable into a connector, the VCC and GND pin make contact first while the data pins make contact a fraction of a length further. Don't force it too much though...

For looking at what is inserted exactly on the USB ports, I use this tool. I shows more useful data than the Device Manager.

Paul

Thank you for these ideas! Unfortunately all pins are soldered correct onto the pads on the board. I also tried to push the male micro usb plug further into but that wasn't possible/ made no difference. I downloaded the USBTreeViewer and tested it out -> ther is no difference when connecting the teensy, even after several tries and manual refreshes.

I also found something new out which hasn't much to do with the upper part but maybe it helps: When plugging in a usb-cable capable of delivering data and voltage, I get that red bootloader led after clicking the button, but with a cable only capable of voltage and no data-lines I dont get that led-light.
Thanks again for helping me and I hope we find out the problem!

Did you perhaps also do the "Restore Program" as described on this page? It also applies to a Teensy 4.1.

Paul

Too bad...
For now I'm out of ideas [except for start measuring voltages and waveforms using the schematic of the T41].

Paul

Mhmm. Thanks for your help tough.
I will keep this thread up to date. I won't be able to measure the voltage until tomorrow at work so next update tomorrow. If someone has any new ideas, please jsut post'em.

Lukas

Just to confirm, is the orange LED blinking each time you power up the board? Orange blinking confirms the original program loaded during testing is still present and the Teensy is managing to boot up and run properly.

And does it stop blinking and the red LED turns on when you press the button? The red LED confirms it is responding to the button press and able to run the bootloader.

I also found something new out which hasn't much to do with the upper part but maybe it helps: When plugging in a usb-cable capable of delivering data and voltage, I get that red bootloader led after clicking the button, but with a cable only capable of voltage and no data-lines I dont get that led-light.

This result makes no sense. The red light should still come on, even if there is no USB data connection. Here's a quick video so you can see what should happen. (sorry about the parts out of focus - just turned on the camera and did this very quickly....)

I realize you've said your USB cable is good. I'm guessing you're probably not wanting to hear this, but I really do need to say we've heard this sort of problem over and over. It's almost always a bad USB cable. Usually it's a charge only cable lacking data wires. On rare occasions we've also heard reports of very poorly made cables which work with 12 Mbit/sec USB devices, but don't allow 480 Mbit/sec speed which Teensy 4.0 & 4.1 use.

Your situation might be different. But please, know that we've gone down this road many times on this forum and it almost always turns out to be the USB cable. Please don't assume your cable is good.

Thank you for helping me out!
Yes to all the things you said in the upper section. I will try to redo the the video and test more about that red led tomorrow.
About the USB-cable. Is there a way of testing/categorizing them reliably before using them on the teensy?

Sadly, even the charge-only cables look like regular USB cables. Some even have the USB logo, infringing the USBIF trademark rules.

Okay. I finally tried all the steps you told me.
Video: I did the exact same thing as you did in the video and came to the same result. When i press the resetbutton, the little red indicator led turns on.
I also tried to recreat the error, where the bootloader led didn't turn on and I came to the conclusion that it had to do with one specific cheap cable. On all others it lit up.

After all, I didn't manage to let the teensy communicate to my PC. I tried several usb-cables and non worked. I get new ones tomorrow and will test them too but it looks like it's not the cables fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back