Struggling with SGTL5000 Auto Volume settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've been lurking around this forum and playing with Teensy for a while. Just never had time to participate. I'd like to thank all of you, especially Paul for your great work.

For a while now, I've been working on a project to use most of the features of the PJRC Audio Board with the SGTL5000. This would be used mainly as a parametric equalizer, to correct my failing ears. The hardware is mostly done, but the software is still under construction.

The box houses a Teensy 3.2 with the revision C Audio Board. The settings are displayed on a Graphics LCD. It uses the MCP23S17 I/O expander chip to access up to 8 encoders (I'm using 6 for now) through SPI. I'm using the Teensy Audio Library. I've had many problems with programming but solved most of them. Only now I've been stuck for 2-3 days with the Auto Volume part of the SGTL5000. Most settings (Threshold, Attack, Decay, Gain, Response) work.

My question is : has anyone used the Hard Limiter setting? Does it work as expected? Because in my case, whether it's on or off makes no difference. If I understand correctly the SGTL datasheet, when the Hard Limiter is set, the Attack and Decay settings no longer apply. The volume should always stay below the Threshold. Is that so? I've been looking at my code, the library code, the datasheet, application notes, everything and am at my wit's end.

If you look at my code, you'll find a simple function called setHardOnOff(). It turns the Auto Volume ON or OFF and the Hard Limiter ON or OFF according to the position of one of the encoders.

Pictures and full code attached.

Looking for any advice/insight.

Thanks.

Attachments

• P8080009_resize.jpg
    P8080009_resize.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 50
  • P8080010_resize.jpg
    P8080010_resize.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 50
  • P8080014_resize.jpg
    P8080014_resize.jpg