Simple Teensy MPC-like Audio Sampler Launchpad

Status
Not open for further replies.

audi

Hello all! I'm new to the Teensy community but have access to various teensy boards and other electronic components.

I have this project in mind to create a audio sampler like the Akai MPC-2000, but a very simplified model.

A demo of an Akai MPC is seen link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g_OTCbO2eU

The idea is this:

Using a Teensy 3.6 (cuz it already has a micro SD slot)
16 buttons in a 4x4 grid
3 other buttons - record, loop, erase
Microphone and audio in
Speaker out

When you press one of the 16 buttons and record, it will record a .wav file from either the microphone or audio in. When you let go of the buttons it stops and saves the wav file to the SD card. Now, when you press the button it will play that wav sound all the way through unless interrupted by pressing it again, which will restart the sound file.

If the specific button is held, then the audio wav file will play till it finish and stop. If the loop button is pressed with the specific button, it sets the button to loop the wav file everytime it is hold.

If the specific button is pressed with the remove button, it resets the button and erases the wav file (or just doesn't play anything anymore).

The idea is that you can sample sounds from your music through phone audio or by using the microphone to the Teensy and make beats from it as if it is a self contained launchpad.

I haven't had much experience with Teensy, but have used Arduinos and Raspberry Pis before.

My research suggest I can do all this using the Teensy Audio Library, but I have no idea where to start. If anyone is able to help me, that will be great, and any contributions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Audi

I would recommend you to get an audio board (make sure you get rev C, as rev D is for Teensy 4.x).

This board makes it easier to use the audio inputs and outputs and offers higher audio quality than using internal ADC/DCA converters.

The SD card is good for recording and storing audio files, but to achieve low latency and playing multiple sounds at the same time you would need a flash chip, like the W25Q128, to use the AudioPlaySerialflashRaw object of the Audio library. Here the audio board comes very handy too, as you can solder a flash chip on it.

Here there is a good tutorial to start using the Audio library. And this graphical tool makes it easier to interact with the Audio library and offers information about every object.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back