Adapter USB to DB25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

accu

Hello,

i will like to know if anyone has ever built a usb - db25 adapter, i would like to connect an old cnc control board to pc which has no parallel port.
I know it is possible to replace the CNC board with another one with USB, or install a DB25 IDE board, but if anyone knew about it, please share it.

Here is the CNC card in question: https://www.mechapro.de/shop/Stepper-motor-drivers/Kits/3D-Step-Partkit-Rev-2-8::239.html damn, when i see the price i pay that!

Thank you

Hello,

yes, it is true that I have been looking for +/- 10 days and I came across a few sites that sell these cables, but according to some forums, the transfer speed is not at the top and the 25 pins are not all connected, or reversed.

In fact, the adapter must make the transition of the signals from the software, for example, bCNC, or Candle, ... to the machine via the control board.

Here is pretty much ready what it looks like, https: //www.aliexpress.com/item/4000592475565.html , but around 40 Euros.

I came across a site that showed the interior and there was stupidly an ATMEGA32A4, and a few other sites, with an Arduino NANO, so I thought maybe a Teensy would do the trick, but I have to I program it, then there !, I did not leave the hostel as they say in Belgium.

Thank you.

So this board uses a LPT interface, right?
An off-the-shelf USB to DB25 adapter cable adds LPT to the OS. I'd give it a try before re-inventing the wheel.
What does transfer speed matter in this case? A few bytes being sent every now an then.

So this board uses a LPT interface, right?
An off-the-shelf USB to DB25 adapter cable adds LPT to the OS. I'd give it a try before re-inventing the wheel.
What does transfer speed matter in this case? A few bytes being sent every now an then.

yes, but all pins are not connected and / or not configured for a CNC, from what I understand.

And precisely, it is in order not to reinvent the wheel that I questioned the forum to find out if someone has made a montage as is or has a link on the subject.

Thanks

Sometimes old tech is better left to the e-cyclers. I would switch to a modern motion control system that has support - I'm guessing you want to use Mach 3. There are lots of inexpensive USB choices out there including GRBL, grblHAL and a number of other GRBL derivatives. My grblHAL BoB for Teensy 4.1 works pretty well.

Hello,

thank you PhilB for your constructive response, yes, I think I will do this, I saw the work you did, Congratulations.

I was actually using LinuxCNC, and then I kinda let this machine down.

Indeed for the 40 Euros of the adapter, I have a new GRBL card.

Thanks and have a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back