absolute position from a turning wheel, part question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokki

for a project i need to get absolute position from a circular motion (a wheel i turn with my hand, about 4-6cm in diameter).
on reading up i think i need a hall throttle, right? are there other ways to measure absolute circular position? i need to be able to turn the wheel continuously, not only once like with a potentiometer.

for a project i need to get absolute position from a circular motion (a wheel i turn with my hand, about 4-6cm in diameter).
on reading up i think i need a hall throttle, right? are there other ways to measure absolute circular position? i need to be able to turn the wheel continuously, not only once like with a potentiometer.

Absolute encoder. These are usually optical, expense, and come in a variety of resolutions. Some incremental
encoders (which are cheaper) have an index pulse (aka ABZ encoders) so can be homed.

Also there are Hall effect absolute encoders, for which a special magnet is needed on the axis of the wheel.

Generally you'll want four or more notches on the wheel that could be detected by a photodiode. Don't forget you may also need to make one slot longer than the others so you'll get a time index of TDC (or whatever).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back