Teensy 4.0 doesn't enumerate as Windows 10 USB Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwatte

I can't get Windows to see the USB Audio device of a recently purchased Teensy 4.

I've set the board type to Audio:

teensy-audio.png

I'm running a simple passthrough sketch. (I have an Audio Shield attached using the double-decker pins):

Code:
#include <Audio.h>
#include <Wire.h>
#include <SPI.h>

#define LED_PIN 13

// GUItool: begin automatically generated code
AudioInputUSB            usb1;           //xy=475,240
AudioInputI2S            i2s2;           //xy=475,326
AudioOutputUSB           usb2;           //xy=917,324
AudioOutputI2S           i2s1;           //xy=920,242
AudioConnection          patchCord1(usb1, 0, i2s1, 0);
AudioConnection          patchCord2(usb1, 1, i2s1, 1);
AudioConnection          patchCord3(i2s2, 0, usb2, 0);
AudioConnection          patchCord4(i2s2, 1, usb2, 1);
AudioControlSGTL5000     sgtl5000_1;     //xy=485,128
// GUItool: end automatically generated code

void setup() {
  AudioMemory(20);
  sgtl5000_1.enable();
  sgtl5000_1.inputSelect(AUDIO_INPUT_LINEIN);
  sgtl5000_1.volume(0.5f);

pinMode(LED_PIN, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(LED_PIN, (millis() & 64) ? HIGH : LOW);
  delay(8);
}

When I plug it into my Windows 10 machine, it doesn't enumerate as an audio device.

I have had previous audio sketches on previous Teensies work just fine as devices, so is this a Teensy 4 thing?

I also tried with the Serial + MIDI + Audio device type, same problem. Just the Serial type enumerates fine as a serial port.

no-teensy-device.png

Last edited:
Using Teensyduino 1.53, installed in IDE 1.8.13, btw. Connecting the Teensy both to a USB 3.0 hub that I have other USB Audio devices on, and directly to a USB port on the computer, makes no difference.
Also: The I2S hardware/shield itself works fine in a sketch that just runs the I2S hardware with no USB. (There's a weird rumble that comes in every few seconds -- like a bad capacitor or something. But that seems like a separate problem. Let's focus on USB for now.)

Hi @jwatte - Sounds like something for @Paul to look at.

I am assuming that you have the T4 version of the Audio adapter.

I tried your sketch on a T4 that does not have an Audio adapter and it appeared to work. That is after it installed, it showed Digital Audio Interface(Teensy Audio)
I have Windows 10 Version 1909. Arduino 1.8.13 Teensyduino 1.53.

With Teensy Loader open - plug in the T_4.0 as above to various places.

then Does pushing the Button trigger the red light on PCB toward the USB connector? Does TeensyLoader UI change to acknowledge the device online to program if the LED shows red?

Hi again @jwatte - Quick follow up. I don't use Audio too often with Teensy, but did get out my old T4 Beta board by Paul and it had a Audio adapter in it (old style) but his breakout board had the pin changes needed... And compiled your sketch, and I had headphones plugged in and I had music playing on the headphones.

Hope you got it working!

When selecting only Audio, the loader can load it (at least when pushing the button.)
When selecting Serial + MIDI + Audio, the loader can load it (when pushing the button) and the serial port shows up as COM9, but the audio device does not show up in the audio device list.
I have had a variety of other audio drivers installed on this machine (both physical and virtual) so I wonder if this is somehow an audio device enumeration problem with Windows, rather than a problem with the Teensy.
I should try it on a Linux box ...

Yeah, plugging this into one of my Jetson boxes detects it just fine, so this is a problem isolated to my Windows machine.
Thanks for the encouragement :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back