Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: NewPing not working with teensy 4.1

NewPing not working with teensy 4.1

Hi, I search and could not found any other topic regarding the NewPing library and the teensy 4.1.

Hi have a 4 pins HC-SR04 connected to my teensy. I have used this library many times on other Arduino board and never had problems.

When I compile the project I get those errors

Code:
    NewPing.cpp:19:17: error: cannot convert 'volatile uint32_t* {aka volatile long unsigned int*}' to 'volatile uint8_t* {aka volatile unsigned char*}' in assignment
      _triggerOutput = portOutputRegister(digitalPinToPort(trigger_pin)); // Get the output port register for the trigger pin.
    and

Code:
    NewPing.cpp:20:13: error: cannot convert 'volatile uint32_t* {aka volatile long unsigned int*}' to 'volatile uint8_t* {aka volatile unsigned char*}' in assignment
      _echoInput = portInputRegister(digitalPinToPort(echo_pin));         // Get the input port register for the echo pin.

To reproduce this simply had the newping to any teensy 4.1 project

Code:
    #include <NewPing.h>

NewPing sonar_front(6, 5, 200);

void setup() {

}

void loop() {

}
    I have looked around and I saw that that the _triggerOutput and _echoInput are defined uint32_t if defined PARTICLE but not TEESYDUINO. I try to force them to uint32_t but got may error downstream.

Before going in a deep debug of the lib, is there something I'm missing here ?

I saw that this lib is supposed to be compatible with teensy board, but is the 4.1 to recent for them ?

Is there an other lib for using 4 pin sensor , the ping lib is made for 1 trig/echo pin ....

Thanks for the help !

Seems like an edit to the #ifdef in the library code where PARTICLE is given an exception - the same exception is needed for :: defined(__IMXRT1062__)
    > that should fix for T_4.x's

Thanks for the quick answer !

So I had to add this #ifdef in the NewPing.h and change a line in the NewPing.c
    Code:
    	#if defined(__IMXRT1062__)
    		_triggerMode = portModeRegister(digitalPinToPort(trigger_pin)); // Get the port mode register for the trigger pin.
    	#else
    		_triggerMode = (uint8_t *) portModeRegister(digitalPinToPort(trigger_pin)); // Get the port mode register for the trigger pin.
    	#endif
    But my sensor does not seems to work. Not quite sure if it's my voltage divider on the echo pin (5v to 3.3V), the lib or my sensor.

I will investigate a bit more, but it compile well.

If it compile it should work right ?! (joke)

All was good, the newping lib from the arduino repo is no good with T4. Always return 0....

Finnaly got it to work using this lib :
    https://github.com/mjs513/NewPing_t4

thanks to mjs513. This newpin lib works well on my 4.1.

Cheers !