Teensy 4.0 for low noise, fast usbToSerial communication in commercial product

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
I am writing to ask you some support for evaluating the Teensy platform for a project at my company.

We are looking into the possibility to switch the Nucleo boards that we are using in our electronics with the Teensy 4.0. In the following I will list the specs that we aim to achieve.

Low electrical noise
Our product is very sensitive to electrical noise. I understand that this is a difficult question, but maybe someone has already compared noise between the Teensy board and other platforms.

Fast USB communication
The board is supposed to communicate with an Odroid through the USB port. We would like to maximize the communication speed and take advantage of the 480Mbit/s of the Teensy 4.0

I read on the forum that the USB is a tricky peripherals. I already tested the communication speed of a Teensy 3.6 with my Linux PC (using a piece of code suggested on this forum) and it seems to go at 12Mbit/s. This speed is fine but faster is better, so is there a way to force faster speeds?

Multiple serial ports
We ideally need 7 serial ports to communicate with 7 different devices. I see that the Teensy 4.0 has 2 ports on the back of the board, on SMD pads. Is it feasible to connect the board to our PCB so that all serial are connected?

Named USB peripheral
Ideally we will have more that 1 Teensy attached to the Odroid (on a USB hub probably), each one doing a different thing. We need to communicate with all of them, and to do this we should know which is which. Is it possible to name the USB connection on the Teensy side so that Linux see each board with a well defined name? (sorry for the very non-techincal lingo here, I am way out of my knowledge space)

Programming finite state machine using interrupts and reducing clock speed
The idea behind the first application of this board would be using it like that:
  1. stay always in low-power (so with low clock speed, to reduce consumption and noise)
  2. when receiving a communication on the USB port
    1. increase clock speed
    2. pass message to the proper serial port
    3. wait the answer and send it on the USB port
  3. return in sleep

The way I see to achieve this behaviour is by using interrupts, but I see on this forum that interrupts are sometimes not recommended. So is it feasible or is there a way to do this differently?

Product lifecycle
The Teensy 4.0 is very recent, but is there already a planned lifecycle? In particular, how many year it will (tentatively) stay in production?

This are the basic features we are reviewing right now. If more will come up I will add them to this post. If something is not clear, feel free to ask and I will try to explain better or elaborate on the topic.
Thank you in advance for your support!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back