New Teensys' mechanical sizes ?

pixelk

Hello,
I'm in the process of creating a 3D printed case for a project and wondered if a web page reported the boards physical sizes.
There is one but it seems it's not up to date with post-3.6 teensys :
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/dimensions.html

I will get my caliper out and measure the few dimensions I need, but it would be nice to add the newer boards there it may be helpfull for those that don't have purchased their target board yet.

The Teensy 4.0 should have the same size as the Teensy 3.2.

The Teensy 4.1 should have the same size as the Teensy 3.5/3.6.

If these cases have electrical connections, be sure to compare the pinouts. Outside the position of normal ground, 3.3v, VIN, and analog/normal ground, first serial port, the first I2C bus, the first SPI bus, the position of the first 24 digital pins, and the position of the first 10 analog input pins, most pinouts are different between the two.

Some things that come to mind include:
  • The Teensy 4.0/4.1 does not have 3 inner holes for AREF, A10, and A11.
  • The Teensy 4.0/4.1 does have an inner hole for VUSB that is the same location as in the other Teensys.
  • The Teensy 4.0/4.1 does not have the concept of analog ground. The pin between 3.3v and VIN is a normal ground pin (in practice this likely won't matter going from 3.x -> 4.x).
  • The back 5 pins in the Teensy 4.0 are in the same location as the pins in the Teensy 3.2. The Teensy 4.0/4.1 does not have a DAC (digital -> analog) pin, and instead that pin is the on/off pin.
  • The middle 5 pins in the Teensy 4.1 are in the same location as the pins in the Teensy 3.5/3.6. The Teensy 3.5/3.6 reset pin becomes the Teensy 4.1 on/off pin.
  • The 5 pins for USB host support in the Teensy 3.6 is in the same place as the USB host support in the Teensy 4.1.
  • The solder pads underneath the Teensys are different.

Thank you for those infos, but for example, T4.1 has passives underneath (unlike the Teensys I got so far), and I had to take this into account when modelling my project box (a work still in progress).
In the same vein, from the photos, I didn't realize that the Ethernet pads on T4.1 weren't standard 2.54mm spacing until I got it into my hands.
I pretty sure I'm missing other maybe important details. Happily for me, 3D printing permits for fast prototyping and iterative testing.
You're referencing T3.6, but I don't see mechanical drawing of those. Am I missing something ?

Sorry if I'm clueless, but I failed to find those infos on the main site. It's not a major concern, just a "nice to have" to get started.

Teensy 4.0 fits in the same carrier I printed out for a 3.1 five years ago, which is extremely helpful. The five solder pads for power, PWM, and analog that I use are even in the same place. The T3.5/6 I skipped because I didn't feel like re-designing the carrier. It's so nice to have this much power in something barely larger than a piece of cereal.

I know this is an old thread, but just for a final followup, the dimensions page now has drawings for Teensy 4.0 and 4.1.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/dimensions.html

dimensions_teensy40.png

dimensions_teensy41.png

Back