Upload sketch to Teensy 3.6 crashes 2020 Macbook

oudevolvo

I am using Teensyduino 1.51 and Arduino IDE 1.8.12 on a 2020 Macbook Pro using Catalina 10.15.6.
When I try to upload a sketch to my Teensy 3.6 my computer crashes (1 sec. high fan and then the Mac screen of death).

Crash report starts with
Code:
panic(cpu 1 caller 0xffffff80062469aa): Kernel trap at 0xffffff80066ab9a3, type 14=page fault, registers

Tends to happen with larger sketches only. Blink LED example uploads fine.
Had the issue with IFCT and FlexCAN examples.
These worked fine on another Macbook a year ago.

On this machine, crash rate is not 100%. Sometimes I just got nothing back on the serial monitor and after a short while the Teensyduino App crashed. Upon restart I got:
Code:
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException at cc.arduino.view.NotificationPopup.updateLocation(NotificationPopup.java:244) at cc.arduino.view.NotificationPopup.<init>(NotificationPopup.java:222) at cc.arduino.view.NotificationPopup.<init>(NotificationPopup.java:72) at cc.arduino.contributions.ContributionsSelfCheck.lambda$run$0(ContributionsSelfCheck.java:134) at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:311) at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:758) at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97) at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709) at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74) at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:728) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

Since I thought it was IFCT related I opened a topic on Tonton81 github.
He suggested it is a Java issue.

Any thoughs on what is happening or how I can resolve these issues?

IDE 1.8.12 was quickly replaced for perhaps related "issues" . Update the IDE to 1.8.13. Also TeensyDuino at ver 1.53

That looks like the mac OS version that comes with the integrated installer - so one stop at PJRC.com for IDE 1.53 it seems delivers complete IDE&TD install.

Back