Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: How to fix the [-Wreorder] warnings?

How to fix the [-Wreorder] warnings?

I use the following library for my encoders: https://github.com/sixeight7/encoder

Everytime I compile it, it generates the following warnings:

Code:
    In file included from /Users/cfeddema/Documents/Arduino/libraries/encoder-arduino/ClickEncoder.cpp:12:0:
    /Users/cfeddema/Documents/Arduino/libraries/encoder-arduino/ClickEncoder.h: In constructor 'ClickEncoder::ClickEncoder(uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, bool)':
    /Users/cfeddema/Documents/Arduino/libraries/encoder-arduino/ClickEncoder.h:112:8: warning: 'ClickEncoder::accelerationEnabled' will be initialized after [-Wreorder]
       bool accelerationEnabled;

^
    /Users/cfeddema/Documents/Arduino/libraries/encoder-arduino/ClickEncoder.h:103:20: warning:   'volatile int16_t ClickEncoder::delta' [-Wreorder]
       volatile int16_t delta;

^
    /Users/cfeddema/Documents/Arduino/libraries/encoder-arduino/ClickEncoder.cpp:46:1: warning:   when initialized here [-Wreorder]
     ClickEncoder::ClickEncoder(uint8_t A, uint8_t B, uint8_t BTN, uint8_t stepsPerNotch, bool active)
     ^
    In file included from /Users/cfeddema/Documents/Arduino/libraries/encoder-arduino/ClickEncoder.cpp:12:0:
    /Users/cfeddema/Documents/Arduino/libraries/encoder-arduino/ClickEncoder.h:110:19: warning: 'ClickEncoder::button' will be initialized after [-Wreorder]
       volatile Button button;

^
    /Users/cfeddema/Documents/Arduino/libraries/encoder-arduino/ClickEncoder.h:101:11: warning:   'uint8_t ClickEncoder::steps' [-Wreorder]
       uint8_t steps;

^
    /Users/cfeddema/Documents/Arduino/libraries/encoder-arduino/ClickEncoder.cpp:46:1: warning:   when initialized here [-Wreorder]
     ClickEncoder::ClickEncoder(uint8_t A, uint8_t B, uint8_t BTN, uint8_t stepsPerNotch, bool active)
     ^
    /Users/cfeddema/Documents/Arduino/libraries/encoder-arduino/ClickEncoder.h:101:11: warning: 'ClickEncoder::steps' will be initialized after [-Wreorder]
       uint8_t steps;

^
    /Users/cfeddema/Documents/Arduino/libraries/encoder-arduino/ClickEncoder.h:98:17: warning:   'const uint8_t ClickEncoder::pinA' [-Wreorder]
       const uint8_t pinA;

^
     ^
    De schets gebruikt 244828 bytes (23%)  programma-opslagruimte. Maximum is 1048576 bytes.
    Globale variabelen gebruiken 99152 bytes (37%) van het dynamisch geheugen. Resteren 162992 bytes voor lokale variabelen. Maximum is 262144 bytes.
    How could I fix these warnings?

Hopefully one of the more compiler oriented members can give a more complete answer. But usually when I see things like this, it is because the order of the initializers is not the same order of the definitions in the class:

That is the constructor looks like:
    Code:
      : doubleClickEnabled(true), accelerationEnabled(true),
        delta(0), last(0), acceleration(0),
        button(Open), steps(stepsPerNotch),
        pinA(A), pinB(B), pinBTN(BTN), pinsActive(active)
    {
    So the question is are all of the member variables in the same order?

And I don't remember how having some of the variables in the class when have initial values and some do not, impacts the expected order of these initializers.

Thanks Kurt. I changed the order in the constructor to the order that was shown in encoder.h and now it compiles without warnings.

Here is the new constructor:
    Code:
      : pinA(A), pinB(B), pinBTN(BTN), steps(stepsPerNotch),
        pinsActive(active), delta(0), last(0), acceleration(0),
        button(Open), doubleClickEnabled(true), accelerationEnabled(true)
    And here is where I found the correct order in encoder.h:
    Code:
    private:
      const uint8_t pinA;
      const uint8_t pinB;
      const uint8_t pinBTN;
      uint8_t steps;
      const bool pinsActive;
      volatile int16_t delta;
      volatile int16_t last;
      volatile uint16_t acceleration;
    #if ENC_DECODER != ENC_NORMAL