Teensy 4.1 SPRAM chip availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daved

HI - It would be great to have 16MB RAM on my Teensy 4.1. The required chips IPS6404L-SQ-SPN and ESP-PSRAM64H are available from PJRC and a few other websites but don't seem to be available on Farnell, RS, etc. Are there alternative chips that have been tested with the T41 that are more readily available?

TIA

HI - It would be great to have 16MB RAM on my Teensy 4.1. The required chips IPS6404L-SQ-SPN and ESP-PSRAM64H are available from PJRC and a few other websites but don't seem to be available on Farnell, RS, etc. Are there alternative chips that have been tested with the T41 that are more readily available?

TIA

I was able to get some of the Espressif chips from Alliespress https://aliexpress.ru/item/4000242457828.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.73e055ceA37Za4 or I now see Adafruit is selling them as well: https://blog.adafruit.com/2020/08/0...chip-64-mbit-serial-pseudo-sram-3-3v-133-mhz/

Unfortunately at the moment, Adafruit is sold out.

Digikey has the Adafruit part in their list, but they haven't gotten stock yet. Checking the lead time, it looks like they don't expect to get stock until December.

In another thread, Frank Boesing has mentioned that he de-soldered the psram chip from a donor ESP32 board and moved it to a Teensy 4.1.

In another thread, Frank Boesing has mentioned that he de-soldered the psram chip from a donor ESP32 board and moved it to a Teensy 4.1.

I did that as well. DigiKey had the W25Q128JVSIQ FLASH chip and the ESP32-WROVER-B (8MB) so I ordered both. Pried the shield off the ESP32 and removed the PSRAM chip with the aid of some solder wick and gentle prying with the tip of an Xacto knife. Caveman tech, I know, but it wasn't too finicky, and once the PSRAM chip was soldered on a T4.1 it worked with no problems.

I did that as well. DigiKey had the W25Q128JVSIQ FLASH chip and the ESP32-WROVER-B (8MB) so I ordered both. Pried the shield off the ESP32 and removed the PSRAM chip with the aid of some solder wick and gentle prying with the tip of an Xacto knife. Caveman tech, I know, but it wasn't too finicky, and once the PSRAM chip was soldered on a T4.1 it worked with no problems.

I got my FLASH fro RS components: Winbond W25Q128JVSIQ/TUBE, SPI 128Mbit Flash Memory Chip, 8-Pin SOIC
Stock no.:171-2222

Same question led me to do some digging on mouser, and it looks like they started offering this new SRAM chip in SOIC-8. It's only 4MB (and more expensive than PJRC's offerings) but it looks to me to have identical pinouts and instruction commands. Is there anything else that would disqualify this from being a possible stand-in? Am trying to avoid shipping a $1.20 chip to the other side of the world, ha!

https://www.mouser.dk/ProductDetail/ISSI/IS62WVS5128GBLL-45NLI?qs=byeeYqUIh0M7EH7gI3DsmQ==

That has :: Description: SRAM 4Mb 512Kx8 45MHz Serial SRAM IT

And in that is spec :: Maximum Clock Frequency: 45 MHz

The 8 MB chips are all spec'd at 104 or 132 MHz - but generally seemed to all run at 132 in Beta. Though default startup clock is set at 88 MHz.

So it possibly won't solder on and work with current settings - even if care were taken to not use the missing upper 4 MB.

Many thanks for that, defragster. Saved me some headaches.
for anyone looking to source the correct kind of 8MB PSRAM chips in europe, pimoroni.com stocks them (as well as the T4.1).

I found the cypress S70KL1281/S70KD1281 while doing a order on mouser (to buy a teensy 4.1 + audio board)

which is a Self-Refresh 16MByte 100MHz DDR (200MBps) with a simple 8bit bi-dir interface (using CS,RW and CLK)

could be a faster alternative to the PSRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back