Firm attachment of Teensy 4.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CollinK

Another thing I want to do in projects is put a Teensy 4.1 in an enclosure, attached to a larger board and have the whole thing ride around in a car. I worry that merely using sockets might be too prone to vibration and the connections might jiggle loose. The obvious solution is to solder it to the bigger board but then if I break it (not that I'd ever do a thing like that!) then it's really tough to replace. The teensy doesn't exactly have screw holes in it. But, I wonder if anyone has built plastic hold downs or something that could be used to reinforce the hold down force so that it can't unsocket itself. Or, am I worrying for nothing?

well i use it in automotive environment, its socketed to a triple CAN board, and i am using all 3 CANs on my vehicle, no issues here. it's mounted in a project box in the trunk.

if you are not rough and worried about it getting loose, you can do what i do for socket, put some dieelectric grease on the pins then gently put a zip tie around the t4 and the socket board enough so it wont get loose, but also wont bend the pcbs

If you are particularly concerned, I'd recommend higher quality header pins. I used Millmax 315 and 364 super low profile headers on a recent project and was quite impressed with how securely they snap together. If not careful, I could have broken the 4.1 when removing it

I designed a carrier that fits Teensy 3.2 and 4.0. The board is constrained on three sides by the carrier, and on the fourth side by the enclosure. The carrier is bolted to the enclosure, so it's not going to move. As for the pins, automotive = vibration. You may want to "hot snot" the wires where they're soldered in, and run them to a connector that's rated for automotive use.

I have a Teensy 3.5 based data logger that I just used double-sided foam tape to attach. It's been running for about 2 years without issue.

20200512_141056_2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back