pro and con of teensy versions for midi/audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

singlecoil

hi, i am new with microcontrollers, little experience with esp32. is T 4.1 as compatible to existing midi library’s like T 3.x or 4.0. i want to start with simple pezo triggers and steering midi with sensors. i like the performance of the 4.1, and dream of using aufiofiles on board for sampling and looper. i thank for every advice, also for simple matching display, card reader and other stuff that is useful for my open project. i have a lot of time, i’m used to soldering and i’m member of the fablab zurich, where i have support for programming. i’m the only musician in the FL, that’s why i ask on this form for help and inspiration.
thank you.

is T 4.1 as compatible to existing midi library’s like T 3.x or 4.0.

Yes. Teensy 4.1 and 4.0 use the same chip, so the only real difference is more I/O on 4.1. Software-wise they are the same.

MIDI works well. You get 8 serial ports which can do normal serial MIDI, and the USB device port which can communicate MIDI with your PC, and a USB host port which you can plug in class compliant MIDI instruments.

Generally things which work on Teensy 3.x work on Teensy 4.1, only much faster. The one big exception is the built in DAC. There's no DAC output on Teensy 4.1. If you're wanting to create audio signals, you'll need the audio shield or PT8211 or some other chip to give you analog output.

that sounds good. i can not resist the performance of the 4.1, and first i’ll focus on midi triggers and steering midi parameters.i want a small display for checking the midi data, there are so many kinds available, can you recommend one for me?
thank you for the fast response and all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back