New Teensy 4.1 DIY Synthesizer

Jeannie and Volca in Love..

Jeannie-Volca.png

Youtube:

Thank you. They are currently out of stock, but I'll keep checking.
i get one in the next days . If somebody had interest , contact me ( kontakt(at)tubeohm.com ) The Kit comes back because the buyer was to ill do the solderworks .
The next batch comes maybe in 1 month ...

G
Andre'

I think that Brexit has complicated shipping to the UK. I had to cancel my original Paypal order so that German VAT could be taken off. I then had to pay the net price via bank transfer. I will have to pay UK import duty when it arrives (soon I hope).

Hi Andy,

this is unfortunate and complicated. We Germans have a saying: "Why keep it simple when it can be complicated?" :cool:

I think that Brexit has complicated shipping to the UK. I had to cancel my original Paypal order so that German VAT could be taken off. I then had to pay the net price via bank transfer. I will have to pay UK import duty when it arrives (soon I hope).

Hi , i am sold out , but one of the reseller had a complete Jeannie DIY kit here :

https://www.exploding-shed.com/diy-kits-overview/diy-kits/

Next kits comes end of next month .

G
Andre'

The tracking shows that it has arrived at our local depot, and that I will be contacted about the UK duty to be paid before delivery.

The tracking shows that it has arrived at our local depot, and that I will be contacted about the UK duty to be paid before delivery.

I hope you will have fun with the kit. There are a lot of improovements / new functions in the new Firmware ( but also a little bugs ). We work on this . New is phase modulation and Filter FM ... for example .

A german forum is here - but we all speak also english . If you have question , feel free to ask or contact me direct .

https://www.sequencer.de/synthesizer/threads/tubeohm-jeannie-polyphonic-diy-synthesizer.160564/
Greets
Andre'

Thanks for the link, I'm sure that I will have questions.

I finally got the invoice for £59.11, which includes customs duty, VAT and clearance fee (for anyone else buying from the UK). Delivery on Thursday :)

Thanks for the link, I'm sure that I will have questions.

I finally got the invoice for £59.11, which includes customs duty, VAT and clearance fee (for anyone else buying from the UK). Delivery on Thursday :)

Ok , this means that i can shipp and the UK duty add 59 € . I am in connection with Thonk and hopefully the next batch is available via Thonk in UK . This is much easier for the UK people .
PS , we add now Filter FM and Phase modulation into the Jeannie .

G
Andre
TubeOhm Instruments

* if you have questions feel free to contact me .

The kit arrived yesterday. I've almost finished building it, but I now need the zipped sound/seq files. The instructions say that they are available from the TubeOhm website, but I can't find them. Any clues?

Thanks for the link. The synth is now fully working; I've connected the FX board and I've updated the firmware. It sounds great; I just need to get my head around it now.

Excellent kit and comprehensive instructions. My only query is what to do with the mains switch connection? I guess I'll find a header socket to connect the switch.

Thanks for the link. The synth is now fully working; I've connected the FX board and I've updated the firmware. It sounds great; I just need to get my head around it now.

Excellent kit and comprehensive instructions. My only query is what to do with the mains switch connection? I guess I'll find a header socket to connect the switch.

<Hi , right near the 9V power plug is the K5 , the power connection . You can solder the cabel direct on K5 and the power switch . Than it should work .
G
Andre'

Hello there..

The data format for the transmission or reception of SysEx data has its pitfalls.
The data may only be 7 bits in size. Larger values lead to the transmission being aborted.
In the Jeannie, floating point numbers and 16-bit integer numbers are used.
For saving on SD card, the parameters are converted into ASCII characters and
written to the SD card. It looks like this for patch "B 032", for example.

Pic 1.PNG

The advantage is that floating point numbers or large integer numbers can be transmitted as 7-bit numbers (0-127) via SysEx.
A disadvantage is the slightly larger amount of data.

Example code for transferring a SysEx file ( patch "B 032" data is not yet complete )

Code:
byte sysexData[[COLOR=#AE81FF]32[/COLOR]];    [COLOR=#8292A2]// SysEx buffer 256 Byte[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#E6DB74]int[/COLOR] sysexCount = [COLOR=#AE81FF]0[/COLOR];        [COLOR=#8292A2]// SysEx Data pointer[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#8292A2]//*************************************************************************[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#8292A2]// convert parameter string to bin[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#8292A2]//*************************************************************************[/COLOR]
FLASHMEM [COLOR=#E6DB74]void[/COLOR] String_to_bin (String value, uint8_t len)
{
    [COLOR=#E6DB74]for[/COLOR] (uint8_t i = [COLOR=#AE81FF]0[/COLOR]; i < len; i++) {
        sysexData[sysexCount] = value[i];
        sysexCount++;
    }
}
[COLOR=#8292A2]// usbMidi send SystemExclusive[/COLOR]
FLASHMEM [COLOR=#E6DB74]void[/COLOR] [COLOR=#E6DB74]SendSysEx[/COLOR]([COLOR=#E6DB74]void[/COLOR])
{
    [COLOR=#8292A2]// send PrgNr "B 032"[/COLOR]

uint8_t patchNo = [COLOR=#AE81FF]32[/COLOR];
    uint8_t currentPatchBank = [COLOR=#AE81FF]1[/COLOR]; [COLOR=#8292A2]// Bank B[/COLOR]
    String numString = (patchNo);
    String bankString = [COLOR=#E6DB74]char[/COLOR](currentPatchBank + [COLOR=#AE81FF]65[/COLOR]);
    String fileString = (bankString + [COLOR=#A6E22E]"/"[/COLOR] + numString);
    uint8_t data_len = NO_OF_PARAMS;
    sysexCount = [COLOR=#AE81FF]0[/COLOR];

[COLOR=#8292A2]// get Sound File String[/COLOR]
    File patchFile = SD.[COLOR=#E6DB74]open[/COLOR](fileString.[COLOR=#E6DB74]c_str[/COLOR]());
    String data[data_len]; [COLOR=#8292A2]//Array of data read in[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#E6DB74]recallPatchData[/COLOR](patchFile, data);
    patchFile.[COLOR=#E6DB74]close[/COLOR]();

[COLOR=#8292A2]// Sysex data lenght [28];                            // Daten lenght max 256[/COLOR]
    sysexData[sysexCount++] = [COLOR=#AE81FF]0xF0[/COLOR];                        [COLOR=#8292A2]// 0        - Start SysEx[/COLOR]
    sysexData[sysexCount++] = [COLOR=#AE81FF]0x00[/COLOR];                        [COLOR=#8292A2]// 1        - ID[/COLOR]
    sysexData[sysexCount++] = [COLOR=#AE81FF]0x00[/COLOR];                        [COLOR=#8292A2]// 2        - ID[/COLOR]
    sysexData[sysexCount++] = [COLOR=#AE81FF]0x00[/COLOR];                        [COLOR=#8292A2]// 3        - ID[/COLOR]
    sysexData[sysexCount++] = [COLOR=#AE81FF]0x00[/COLOR];                        [COLOR=#8292A2]// 4        - Device ID 0-64[/COLOR]
    sysexData[sysexCount++] = patchNo;                     [COLOR=#8292A2]// 5        - Patch No[/COLOR]
    sysexData[sysexCount++] = currentPatchBank;            [COLOR=#8292A2]// 6        - Folder No[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#E6DB74]String_to_bin[/COLOR](data[[COLOR=#AE81FF]0[/COLOR]], [COLOR=#AE81FF]12[/COLOR]);                            [COLOR=#8292A2]// 7-18        - Patch Name[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#E6DB74]String_to_bin[/COLOR](data[[COLOR=#AE81FF]1[/COLOR]], [COLOR=#AE81FF]4[/COLOR]);                             [COLOR=#8292A2]// 19-22    - Osc1 level[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#E6DB74]String_to_bin[/COLOR](data[[COLOR=#AE81FF]2[/COLOR]], [COLOR=#AE81FF]4[/COLOR]);                             [COLOR=#8292A2]// 23-26    - Osc2 level[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#8292A2]// ..even more data[/COLOR]

sysexData[sysexCount++] = [COLOR=#AE81FF]0xF7[/COLOR];                        [COLOR=#8292A2]// 27        - End SysEx[/COLOR]

usbMIDI.[COLOR=#E6DB74]sendSysEx[/COLOR](sysexCount, sysexData, true);        [COLOR=#8292A2]// send SysEx data[/COLOR]

Serial.[COLOR=#E6DB74]println[/COLOR]([COLOR=#A6E22E]"Data sending complete"[/COLOR]);

}

The transferred SysEx file for patch "B 032"
Pic 2.PNG

Greetings Rolf

Back