Advanced Microcontroller Audio Workshop Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working on the Advanced Microcontroller Audio workshop off and on for a couple of months. I'm on Part 2.1 - First Design Tool Use. Been going ok so far, but a couple of things.
1. After creating and copying the audio system, the instructions say "Step #4: In Arduino, open the Part 2-1 example File > Examples > Audio > Tutorial > Part_2_01_First_Design_Tool_Use". When I open up Arduino, I see it has no Audio examples. Teensyduino has the required example, so I open that. Should the instructions say Teensyduino instead of Arduino?

2. I paste the audio system code into the space where the instructions say to. A bit after I click "Verify", I get this message - First Design Tool Screen Shot.jpg At the bottom of the screen, it says "'AudioPlaySDWave' does not name a type". I have NO clue what this means. Comparing it to the image in the project, they look the same to me.
What gives?
Keep in mind that I'm VERY new at this.
Thanks!

You are using Arduino Version 1.8.12. The current version is 1.8.13. You probably have an older version of Teensyduino too.
Install the latest Arduino IDE and then install the latest Teensyduino and try again.

Pete

You are using Arduino Version 1.8.12. The current version is 1.8.13. You probably have an older version of Teensyduino too.
Install the latest Arduino IDE and then install the latest Teensyduino and try again.

Pete

Thanks for the quick reply! I downloaded and installed latest Arduino and Teensyduino. Same results.

You need to download Teensyduino from this page.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

Since the tutorial was written, Apple added a notarization requirement for Mac software. We now have an all-in-1 download, which is the only way that works on MacOS 10.15 (Catalina). If you have an older system, you could use the old installer way that's mentioned in the tutorial. It's also on that page, and documented under "Old Macintosh Installation". But the old installer definitely will not work on Catalina, and Apple might have recently published updates to Mojave too. Best to use the new version, but gone are the days where you can install Teensyduino into an existing copy of Arduino on Macintosh. Apple's new system just won't allow that sort of thing.

That's where I downloaded from. Could it be because of where I installed Arduio and Teensy? I created an Arduino Stuff sub-folder in my Documents folder, and placed them there. I've noticed in Security and Privacy, that the Documents folder isn't an option for Teensy to access.

That's where I downloaded from. Could it be because of where I installed Arduio and Teensy?

It doesn't matter where you put the files on your Mac. But if you download the wrong stuff, or if you download the correct software and also the wrong software and get them mixed up and end up running the wrong one, you'll get exactly that result where the Audio library isn't installed.

You need to download this file:

sc2.jpg

If you have lots of copies of the Arduino software, you need to somehow run the correct one for Teensy. Fortunately it's easy to tell apart because it's called "Teensyduino" when you see it in Finder (unless you've renamed it).

When you run the software, you'll see it says "Teensyduino" in the menu bar between the Apple icon and File menu:

sc.jpg

If your menu bar says "Arduino" between the Apple icon and File menu, that's a sure sign you're running the wrong software. Just quit, and then find the copy of Teensyduino you downloaded. Or just download a fresh copy. It's perfectly fine to run it right from your Downloads folder. You can move it anywhere on your Mac. The location of the software doesn't matter. Just make sure you're really using the Teensyduino version.

The other thing to check is that you have Teensy selected in the Tools > Boards menu. The software dynamically chances the menus based on which board is selected. If you can't find Teensy in the Tools > Boards menu, that also is a sure sign you're running the wrong software (a copy of Arduino without the Teensyduino stuff).

The latest versions of Arduino and Teensyduino were installed. I deleted them anyway, downloaded new versions to my Downloads folder. I installed and ran Arduino first. Then I installed and ran Teensy. Same results.
Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 1.30.28 AM.png

Ah, now I can see the problem with this new screenshot that has the code scrolled farther up.

sc.png

The include for Audio.h is commented out. Just delete the "//" at the beginning of that line!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back