Using Teensy Loader on Mac OS X and outdated Getting Started guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

teensy_teen

Hi, I got Teensy 4.1. I need some help to get started.

According to the Welcome to Teensy 4.1 card which came with the board, we should visit www.pjrc.com/teensy and follow the Getting Started guide. I am now at:

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/loader_mac.html

The webpage states that the latest update is "Teensy 3.0 is supported by Teensduino". How about Teensy 4.1?

While HalfKay is running, I went to: File->Open HEX File. The guide told us to choose blink_fast.hex but the exact file is not available after I downloaded "LED Blink, Both Slow & Fast". I have files like:
blink_fast_Teensy2.hex, blink_fast_Teensy35.hex, blink_fast_teensy40.hex, blink_fast_TeensyLC.hex, etc.

I suppose I should choose blink_fast_Teensy40.hex as there is no blink_fast_Teensy41.hex.
When I did and chose Operation->Program, I got a File Compatibility Error. It states that:

"blin_fast_Teensy40.hex" is not complied for this board.
Compiled for: "Teensy 4.0 (IMXRT1062".
This board is: "Teensy 4.1 (IMXRT1062)".
You must configure for the correct board and port.
Changing the board configuration in the Arduino IDE using Tools->Boards menu will do so."

I chose: Teensyduino->Tools->Board->Teensduino->Teensy 4.1
Then: Tools->USB Type->Serial
Next: Tools->Serial Port-> HID= [some numbers and letters] Bootloader (Teensy 4.1)

Then, I went back to Teensy app and chose Operation->Program in an attempt to download the program. However, I get the same File Compatibility Error message again.

Please let me know what to do.

It seems that blink_fast.hex for Teensy 4.1 is missing. Without it, I cannot continue the Getting Started guide.

Can we use the Teensy 4.1 the same way as we do when using the Arduino? For Arduino, we upload the sketch with .ino as the file extension but in the Getting Started Guide, it asks us to upload a file in .HEX. Can anybody please clarify?

I've updated blink_both.zip to include builds for Teensy 4.1. Just delete the copy you've previously downloaded and get the latest.

Can we use the Teensy 4.1 the same way as we do when using the Arduino?

Yes, Teensy 4.1 is fully supported in Arduino+Teensyduino. Just download it here:

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

Then select Teensy 4.1 in the Tools > Boards menu. When you click Upload, it will compile you .ino code (producing the .hex file) and use Teensy Loader to write it onto your Teensy 4.1.

A hex file is a precompiled binary (meant for a particular board only), not a source program. Different things.
Skip that step perhaps and go to the next. You'd rarely ever explicitly upload a hex file without compiling a sketch
first, and then the upload is automatic. Compiling produces a .hex file, the Teensy loader uploads that without
you having to even know it exists!

I've updated blink_both.zip to include builds for Teensy 4.1. Just delete the copy you've previously downloaded and get the latest.

Yes, Teensy 4.1 is fully supported in Arduino+Teensyduino. Just download it here:

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

Then select Teensy 4.1 in the Tools > Boards menu. When you click Upload, it will compile you .ino code (producing the .hex file) and use Teensy Loader to write it onto your Teensy 4.1.

Thanks. So from a user's point of view, just treat it as if it were an Arduino.

A hex file is a precompiled binary (meant for a particular board only), not a source program. Different things.
Skip that step perhaps and go to the next. You'd rarely ever explicitly upload a hex file without compiling a sketch
first, and then the upload is automatic. Compiling produces a .hex file, the Teensy loader uploads that without
you having to even know it exists!

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back