Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: CRC32 error with buffer size>= 64k

CRC32 error with buffer size>= 64k

Hello!

I think the CRC32 library has a bug if the buffer size containing the data is 64k or bigger.

I wrote a little function in java running on a Linux PC calculating the CRC32 of a dummy data field(containing all 'A'):

Code:
      private static void testCrc() {
        int bufSize = 1024 * 64;
        byte[] buffer = new byte[bufSize];
        CRC32 crc = new CRC32();
        for (int i = 0; i < bufSize; i++) {
          buffer[i] = 65;
        }
        crc.update(buffer, 0, bufSize);
        long crcVal = crc.getValue();
        System.out.println("CRC: " + crcVal);
      }
    The result of this routine is CRC: 2694514304

The same function on a Teensy 4.1:

Code:
    FastCRC32 CRC32;
    void testCrc(){
      int bufSize = 1024 * 64;
      uint8_t buffer[bufSize];
      for (int i = 0; i < bufSize; i++) {
        buffer[i] = 65;
      }

uint32_t crc = CRC32.crc32(&buffer[0], bufSize);

Serial.print("CRC: ");
      Serial.println(crc);
    }
    shows CRC: 0

If I reduce the buffer size by 1 (bufSize = 1024 * 64 - 1) Java and the Teensy both show the same result ("CRC: 2660141191").

If I raise the bufferSize above 64k(e.g. +1) Java is calculating 1052870317 whereas my Teensy calculates 3554254475.

Did I miss something in the documentation? Is the Teensy CRC32 limited to 64k-1 or is it a bug?

Uwe

Oh, I think I can answer it by myself. I just looked into the source code of FastCRC. The length parameter for the buffer is of type uint16_t. So it looks like that FastCRC is limited to 64k-1.

You might raise this as an issue against the github project: https://github.com/FrankBoesing/FastCRC

Actually there already is one: https://github.com/FrankBoesing/FastCRC/issues/15

My solution is to dissect my incoming data into portions <64k. To have a "real" solution FastCRC must be fixed. (At least FastCRC should return an error code if called with a buffersize >= 64k)

Note: I have idea if this will work or not, I did a quick change of his library, to convert the datalen from uint16_t to uint32_t and changed a few for loops I found that were indexing...

Other places I saw decremented the datalen and or created a pointer to after the data by adding datalen... These should work without changing...

I ran the benchmark and validation sketches on T3.2... Note I have never used this library so don't know if this will take care of all of it for everyone

And/Or there is downside for other platforms...

My Fork/Branch is up at: https://github.com/KurtE/FastCRC/tree/buflen_uint32_t

You might try it to see if it works ... If so can try to issue Pull Request...