Make a multitimbral syntheizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicokaniak

Hi, I was wondering if there is a way to make a multitimbral synthesizer?
This question arises due to the fact that I don't see how using the Audio System Design Tool would permit the duplication of the midi note input signal for a second layer of synthesis.

The design tool is only for audio streams, not for control messages.

You could draw a design with many oscillators, wavetables or other ways of synthesizing sound. Separately, you'll write code in Arduino to respond to the MIDI messages. The most popular way is to set up a function which runs when the message arrives. Then in that function, if you want 4 oscillators to all work together to play the note, you'd just write 4 lines (or more) of code to start those oscillators. Or maybe you'd have the oscillators running all the time and control ADSR envelopes. Or the gain of mixer channels, or anything else you like.

The important point is the design tool is just about the audio flow. You almost always pair it with some code you write in Arduino which changes the audio components as events occur. As you use the design tool, the documentation of the functions Arduino can use to control each thing appears in the right side panel as you click.

The design tool is only for audio streams, not for control messages.

You could draw a design with many oscillators, wavetables or other ways of synthesizing sound. Separately, you'll write code in Arduino to respond to the MIDI messages. The most popular way is to set up a function which runs when the message arrives. Then in that function, if you want 4 oscillators to all work together to play the note, you'd just write 4 lines (or more) of code to start those oscillators. Or maybe you'd have the oscillators running all the time and control ADSR envelopes. Or the gain of mixer channels, or anything else you like.

The important point is the design tool is just about the audio flow. You almost always pair it with some code you write in Arduino which changes the audio components as events occur. As you use the design tool, the documentation of the functions Arduino can use to control each thing appears in the right side panel as you click.

Thanks, Paul! that kinda resolves it :). Sorry if the question was too basic, it's just im recently starting in this world of programming. Glad to have the answer from the bass-man itself.
cheers

nicokaniak did you manage to make a multitimbral synth? Cause I am trying since months and at some point I am getting weird sound as soon as I start to mix the audio stream. When I use a single audio stream, it is working very well but as soon as I start to mixup stream then it is a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back