Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Teensyduino 1.53 Compile error on Win7

Teensyduino 1.53 Compile error on Win7

I am using the Arduino IDE with Teensyduino 1.53 installed on Windows 7 machine and have selected as the board "Teensy 3.2/3.1". I declare some global short x1, y1, x2, y2; and assign y1 a value.
    I get the following error(s):

C:\Users\don\Documents\Projects\Instructable Projects\Chess_Robot\Test_Programs\IDETest_Teensy3 .1\IDETest_Teensy3.1.ino:1:11: error: 'short int y1' redeclared as different kind of symbol
    short x1, y1, x2, y2;
    ^
    In file included from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy3/WProgram.h:36:0,
    from C:\Users\don\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_5167 62\pch\Arduino.h:6:
    c:\program files (x86)\arduino\hardware\tools\arm\arm-none-eabi\include\math.h:539:15: note: previous declaration 'double y1(double)'
    extern double y1 _PARAMS((double));

C:\Users\don\Documents\Projects\Instructable Projects\Chess_Robot\Test_Programs\IDETest_Teensy3 .1\IDETest_Teensy3.1.ino: In function 'void setup()':
    C:\Users\don\Documents\Projects\Instructable Projects\Chess_Robot\Test_Programs\IDETest_Teensy3 .1\IDETest_Teensy3.1.ino:5:8: error: assignment of function 'double y1(double)'
    y1 = 5;
    ^
    C:\Users\don\Documents\Projects\Instructable Projects\Chess_Robot\Test_Programs\IDETest_Teensy3 .1\IDETest_Teensy3.1.ino:5:8: error: cannot convert 'int' to 'double(double)' in assignment

Error compiling for board Teensy 3.2 / 3.1.

The following is the code:
    Code:
    short x1, y1, x2, y2;

void setup()
    {
        y1 = 5;
    }

void loop()
    {
        while(1);

}
    Is this something I can fix or is there something in a library that is not properly scoped?
    Thanks, don

y1 is already defined by the math library (y1 is the name for a Bessel function). Therefore you can not declare a global variable with this name. It is the same as you would like to declare a global variable named sin, or cos, or exp...

Use a different name for "y1". That name is already spoken for and declared with a different type.

With verbose compile it shows here as:
    Code:
    T:\tCode\FORUM\VarConflict\VarConflict.ino:1:11: error: 'short int y1' redeclared as different kind of symbol
     short x1, y1, x2, y2;
               ^
    In file included from T:\arduino-1.8.13\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy4/WProgram.h:36:0,
                     from T:\TEMP\arduino_build_VarConflict.ino\pch\Arduino.h:6:
    t:\arduino-1.8.13\hardware\tools\arm\arm-none-eabi\include\math.h:539:15: note: previous declaration 'double y1(double)'
     extern double y1 _PARAMS((double));
                   ^
    T:\tCode\FORUM\VarConflict\VarConflict.ino: In function 'void setup()':
    T:\tCode\FORUM\VarConflict\VarConflict.ino:10:8: error: assignment of function 'double y1(double)'
         y1 = 5;
            ^
    T:\tCode\FORUM\VarConflict\VarConflict.ino:10:8: error: cannot convert 'int' to 'double(double)' in assignment

Thanks for the quick response. I was confused as this is the first time that I have used a Teensy with the Arduino IDE and when I compile the same program for an Arduino Mega, it compiles cleanly. I might have expected to have to include a math library to get that conflict. Well Thanks for the help and explanation of the error.

I might have expected to have to include a math library to get that conflict.
    The Arduino IDE automatically includes Arduino.h. The error message defragster posted, shows that Arduino.h includes WProgram.h which includes math.h...

Ok, great, thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll just rename my variables.