Advice needed please flight sim button box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am looking to make a flight sim button box with at least 30 buttons/switches and 4 axis. I have read on other sites that I should use use a set of 10k-100k ohm linear taper potentiometers. After that, I am stuck.

I see that there are different Teensy boards now. I expect to plug this into a usb 3 hub or perhaps a usb 2?

Soldering is an issue. I can no longer do fine assembly work. You should see my model kits!

A) So which board to use?
B) Soldering: Can I safely use crimp pin connectors on the Teensy pins? Is there enough room between the pins? I expect to use spade crimps on the switches etc.
C) Is there a better alternative to crimps that I can use?
D) Is there anyone who can assist with the assembly? Is asking a no no?

Am I going about this the wrong way?

Any advice/help is appreciated.

Umm, do you mean something like this?

Quite frankly, you are definitely asking the wrong questions. It is a fun project but not trivial. I can help but it may be out of your range at this point.

19-01-01_ROF Console PCB01.jpg
19-01-31_ROF Console01.jpg
19-03-10_ROF Console01.jpg

Thanks Chevelle.

My thought was that if I could do this without much soldering that I would eventually get there.

Given that you want to have 30 buttons or more, this project would have A LOT of soldering and wiring. If you are not comfortable with either, then I suggest you put this project off as it seems more advanced for where you are at present.

You can't just connect the Teensy to your switches and expect everything to work. You will need some sort of interface PCB. The good news is that I already designed such a board. Even still, there is a lot of wiring and soldering that has to be done.

Dont fear soldering. Its EASY. ..IF you have the right equipment. A decent solder iron and high quality, rosin core, tin/lead solder. 99% of soldering issues are crappy equipment and supplies. With the right equipment, you can even get manky 80 year old wires to solder fine.

-jim lee

Oh yes. Don't get the wrong impression. Soldering is easy but there is a knack to it. It is not meant to be applied as if it were metal glue. Once you have command of the few necessary basics, you should be good to go.

I don't want to discourage you. Quite the contrary. You just might want to start on a slightly less ambitious project.

Thank you both.

Without getting into too much detail, it took me most of a day to make the basic connections for a DIY headtracker.

So would a big tub of Wire Glue work then? :)

I've seen some pre-made button boxes, but, I am concerned that the potentiometers are not the 10k-100k ohm linear taper potentiometers. Or the seller only accepts a payment method that I do not use.

Trying to trim a plane with cheap pots is an exercise in frustration. I would want to be able to trim all axis.

I do appreciate all of the input.

Games I am playing are IL-1946(sure it isnt DCS) but fun for the price. I was shocked they added jets. Sturmovik BOX and Cliffs of Dover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back