Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: DOOM running on the Teensy 4.1 with VGA output

DOOM running on the Teensy 4.1 with VGA output

Happy to share this little video with you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adYwnctiKsg

and the code of course:

https://github.com/Jean-MarcHarvengt/MCUME
    (Doom is part of the tree next to other emulator ports)

Not all keys are mapped on the USB keyboard but it is easy to add them... ;-)

I forgot to mention, please compile with the option "faster code" else the PSRAM seems to "hang up" the CPU at short intervals

Nice! Is the audio handled?

Not yet but I am working on it. It is a general issue with my VGA driver, that audio DMA transfer is interfering with the VGA ones. I am experimenting with interrupt based transfer. I hope some light for next w-e

Hi Jean Marc,
    Is it possible for you to made a real schematic ?
    From the PCB it's not really easy to know the connection if we do it on a test board

Thanks.

Very cool��

I will for sure add the schematic this w-e, I am now busy to add a dedicated audio driver to the VGA library to avoid DMA disturbance. I saw some light at the end of the tunnel yesterday!

Are you going to use the PCM5102 for audio ?
    If yes , let me know , so i will look to add it on the new test board i have to do later this week

PCM5102 Indeed. Not sure they are all the same modules I only use 3 lines+ power. No master clock needed. I also use the default volume level so no real need for i2c else there is a default control module in the audio lib for it if you need.

A "kind of" schematic has been added in the project. Emulators as the Colecovision and the ZX Spectrum ones now supports sound with VGA. Others also but still few bugs to fix ;-(

Hi
    With the schematic it's allot easier to see how everything is connected together
    But i see that you are using the pins D34 to D37 for the external joystick , this pins are connected to the PSRAM and because of this , i will not use them for something else if the extra PSRAM chip is soldered on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
    Hi
    With the schematic it's allot easier to see how everything is connected together
    But i see that you are using the pins D34 to D37 for the external joystick , this pins are connected to the PSRAM and because of this , i will not use them for something else if the extra PSRAM chip is soldered on the board.
    T_4.1 with PSRAM soldered to underside does not use any 'edge' pins like D34-37 or other? Those pins for bottom chip pads are unique, shown here on this PDF by KurtE :github.com/KurtE/TeensyDocuments/blob/master/Teensy4.1%20Pins.pdf

Hi Defragster,

Thanks confirming. It was indeed a problem with T4.0 but not with T4.1!
    Last edited by defragster; Today at 11:08 AM. Reason: opps