Teensy 4.1, octo ws2811, and ws2812b array assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawhin

Dear PJRC friends,

I am working on a project where my goal is to setup an array of 8 led strips. I have always been interested in LED displays and light shows, but please bare with me as I am still learning a lot and have lots of questions and curiosities. I want to create a very large display but for the sake of learning I am starting small before I scale out.

I have purchased a few parts including the teensy 4.1, the octo ws2811 adapter, and 8 ws2812b led strips that are 1 meter in length each and 60 leds each, and a few 5V power supplies so will be running 480 total leds for this practice project. I am going to wire up the led strips via cat6 rj 45

I haven’t started to put anything together yet so I am hoping to get some support and ask questions here and appreciate any help. Most of my concerns are around how to wire things up and power everything.

I have read some things but I may be complicating more than it needs to be in my own mind-

Do I need to connect a 5V power signal and ground signal to both the teensy and the octo ws2811? If so, can the 5V and ground wire splice to both devices from a single 5V and ground output from the psu?

Would it make things easier to power the teensy and octo board separately from a usb supply?

I have read that my ground signal needs to be shared between all strips. Is that true? And if so, can I connect the ground serially from one strip to another?

I appreciate any help or if anyone has done a similar project would love your feedback.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and any help you can provide. I am also open to any suggestions or modifications to the plans and ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back