Mimxrt1062dvj6a

will the resulting PCB continue to mimic Teensy4.1 operation.

No, it will not work.

Any MKL02 chip you buy from distributors will come blank, which obviously will not work. Even if you desolder a MKL02 chip from a Teensy 4.1 and try to reuse it, your board still will not work because the MKL02 chip depends on having the IMXRT chip's fuses pre-configured in a certain way. Likewise, if you desolder the IMXRT chip from a Teensy 4.1 and replace it with the extended temperature version, the MKL02 won't be able to use it because it won't be configured properly.

Eventually PJRC will sell pre-programmed MKL02 chips. When those become available, this type of board design might be able to work. But they're not available yet. This is the thread to follow (but still, they aren't available and no specific time frame has been promised).

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/57132-Bootloader-Chip-For-Teensy-4-0

Now that the MKL02 has compatibility with the IMXRT chips, would the MIMXRT1062CVJ5B or the MIMXRT1062CVL5B have the highest likelihood of working with the MKL02 designed for the MIMXRT1062DVJ6A/B that Teensy 4.1 uses?

Neither of those chips have been tested. I can't say whether they work or not. Best I can do is guess.

My guess is they are both equally likely to work. I can confirm when the bootloader takes control, it uses 396 MHz clock speed, so it's still well below the lower rated speed on those wide temperature range parts.

How likely is likely, I can't really say. This is guesswork, afterall. But my best guess is they're probably all the exact same silicon chip. Maybe NXP tests them differently? Maybe they bin the parts based on test results? Or maybe they really do make physically different silicon for the wide temperature, but I believe that's unlikely, especially given the fact they only speed to differ by much more conservative ratings.

If you build a prototype with either chip, please share the results.

Not exactly the place to post this, but how are global supplies of the MIMXRT1062? i.e. what would happen if we ordered 1000 Teensy 4.0's per month for the next 10 months? And, we are considering the 4.1 for a next generation product. Sheesh, Paul, you made it too easy to bring serious horsepower to new product development with these great products!

Not Paul, so I can't speak for PJRC, but the IMXRT seems to be on a 26 week lead from most distributors. Frankly, I'm just happy that it's not 52 weeks given the state of the industry right now. NXP has samples in stock, so I'm hoping to get those relatively quickly for prototyping before putting in a big order for a fall delivery.

PJRC does an admirable job with their stock of assembled Teensys and have ridden out these waves in the past. It looks like Teensy 4.0 is currently in stock, and although Teensy 4.1 is currently out of stock from PJRC, distributors currently have plenty.

Not Paul, so I can't speak for PJRC, but the IMXRT seems to be on a 26 week lead from most distributors. Frankly, I'm just happy that it's not 52 weeks given the state of the industry right now. NXP has samples in stock, so I'm hoping to get those relatively quickly for prototyping before putting in a big order for a fall delivery.

PJRC does an admirable job with their stock of assembled Teensys and have ridden out these waves in the past. It looks like Teensy 4.0 is currently in stock, and although Teensy 4.1 is currently out of stock from PJRC, distributors currently have plenty.

Brtaylor, I sent you a PM. Sorry for the weird message form a stranger, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

@PaulStoffregen are you aware of any place to purchase MIMXRT1062DVJ6B chip or equivalent? Everywhere I look it is out of stock and I am in need of 5-10 to begin with. PLEASE let me know. Also, when are you guys selling your bootloader chips again, need to get those as well? I know you are doing some security programming on them but I'll take them as is. Thank you.

are you aware of any place to purchase MIMXRT1062DVJ6B chip or equivalent? Everywhere I look it is out of stock and I am in need of 5-10 to begin with.

PJRC has some extra MIMXRT1062DVJ6B chips. The most recent Teensy 4.1 batch didn't use them all, because we ran short on the schottky diodes. Email me directly on Tuesday (US pacific time) and we'll check how many chips are available.

Thank you Paul for the reply.

I also wanted to ask here if you or anyone has tried using the 1062CVJ5A chip with Teensy 4.1. I was going to ask via email, but I remembered that you prefer having the info in the forum so that others can learn the information.

I was able to get a few of those chips and I'm thinking about printing 1 test board and assembling it with that chip to see if it works. From my information, it is slightly slower than the 1062DVJ6B chip (528mhz vs 600mhz I believe) but it can handle more extreme temperatures.

Back