Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: DIY Surface Mount Board Beginner

DIY Surface Mount Board Beginner

Hello! Iíve used arduino and now teensy for a while and Iím looking to delve a little deeper in! Iím wanting to design my own PCB with a Teensy microcontroller directly built in but Iím not even quite sure where to start! Mostly for the microcontroller and bootloader boards themselves. Is it a good idea to just follow the schematics posted for teensy to get them all connected correctly? Any references or advice would be most welcome! Thanks!

While it can be done from Paul's schematics and advice (https://www.pjrc.com/store/ic_mkl02.html) alone, you will be better off starting with one of the published complete designs (schematic, PCB layout, BOM). A forum search will find some.

You have a pretty steep learning curve ahead. I suggest you start with something a lot simpler than a BGA package. Assuming you want to do surface mount, you could look at doing SOIC packages, 805 Rs and Cs. The Atmel ATTiny chips are easy to work with. Once you get a couple of simple boards under your belt, tackling a complex one is a lot easier.

Thanks! I think I found a good board to reference that he linked to on the page for his bootloader chip here! It looks more weíll documented than Paulís schematics.

https://github.com/thewknd/teensy-bo...0board%20clone

Oh and as far as the soldering goes I was going to try my hand at reflow soldering with a heat gun, from what I can tell that might only take me 1 or 2 (or 10) tries to hopefully get an acceptable result!

I suspect a heat gun is not going to be a good experience, you need accurate temperature control and
    low airflow speed, or all the little parts are blown off the board.

Hot air rework stations have low speed air pump and the nozzle has a thermcouple right at the outlet
    to get fine temperature control.

However for actually making boards a reflow oven is a good technique, whole board done in one go,
    with least mess. I use an adapted sandwich toaster, works very well - I moved the heating element
    at the bottom to alongside the one at the top, which turned out to be fairly straightforward.

Note that you need soldermask on a PCB to use a reflow oven reliably, bare copper traces do not absorb
    IR radiation so the groundplane will be slow to heatup.