Teensy MicroMod

I thought for the fun of it, I would update my Excel document to add some pages for this one, as an idea of seeing what things in the sources and libraries might need to be updated. There are some interesting things I found when mapping all of the pins, which include:
screenshot.jpg
Again looks like common pins for 1-33 with T4.1. 34-39 are the SDIO pins. And 40-45 are new.

Some interesting things include:
We can create a Wire3 object for the new (hardware I2C 2 object which does not have pin exported for T4 or 4.1)
All of these pins can probably be made PWM pins with Quad Timer. There are some duplicates. like QT3.1 is on pins 18 and now 43)
FlexIO: All of these pins are on FlexIO 2, which is nice as it has DMA

But maybe an interesting thing with these pins. Is I believe we now have all of the IO pins associated with 8 bit parallel LCD display sub-system. Which I think I marked up all of these in my last column :D

Strange that the release is hold off (by sparkfun?). The new Raspberry Pi RP2040 got announced alongside MicroMod boards.

Strange that the release is hold off (by sparkfun?). The new Raspberry Pi RP2040 got announced alongside MicroMod boards.

Strange delay indeed. Assuming PJRC did their part the holdup may be on the SparkFun side? Maybe SFun PCB build with 1062 or the Pre-Order RP2040 bumped it, or release for this SparkFun LoRa Thing Plus that just showed up in email today ... or some other board of the week/month in development?

Maybe it is/was waiting for the T4.x bootloader chip to be released?

After all there is only one Paul, and with PJRC being down to just him and Robin due to the virus and distancing rules, I imagine he made the decision to come out with the bootloader first. There has been a steady clamor for it since the Teensy 4.0 was announced, while I don't know what the market for micromod Teensys might be.

I could also imagine perhaps there is one or more parts that he just couldn't source ASAP. Unfortunately, with Chinese New Year starting on February 12th, it may make other supply chain issues hard for the next few weeks.

Since it appears to have the required display pins and there is no development going on, I assume Paul or someone else has already selected a display and has working code(??)

A micromod Teensy 4 seems really interesting, im guessing it wont come with a ethernet PHY, would it be as simple to add a DP83825I to the carrier board and then just use the native Ethernet lib?
Also really hoping we will get a Teensy 5 micromod!

A micromod Teensy 4 seems really interesting, im guessing it wont come with a ethernet PHY, would it be as simple to add a DP83825I to the carrier board and then just use the native Ethernet lib?
Also really hoping we will get a Teensy 5 micromod!

I could be completely wrong, but I doubt it. At least I don't see anything in the micromod pins or carrier boards that mention Ethernet.

As for a Teensy 5 MicroMod not sure what that would be. I am pretty sure from the future Teensy thread that next or future Teensy mentioned will be a released as a 4.x...
But who knows Paul could surprise us :D

oh yeah, sry. i mean the IMXRT1170 teensy. dont know why i just assumed that the IMXRT1170 teensy would be called teensy 5...
hmmm seems like a shame to not get ethernet on the micromods, but then again, not many users need it, just happens that i need it :)

I know it's up to SparkFun to talk about this. But are there any rumours about the price they will ask for a Tennsy processor board? So far they sell most of them for $14.95 but as Teensy based board should be much more powerful*compared to what they have so far. Therefore I am somehow expect it might be getting a higher price tag attached.

Me and a friend could need a Teensy 4.x based processor only board for a project with an own PCB. While the 4 and 4.1 are already fair priced saving*some dollars on the processor board would make it more attractive. Therefore*I try to determine if it would worth the wait until SparkFun will start to sell them.

Hi,

I have a theoretical question for you about the teensy micormod card.
We agree that there is only need to connect pins V_USB, USB_D-, USB_D+ and GND to detect the card on the pc ?
There is nothing need to do with the RESET and BOOT pins ?

I have a theoretical question for you about the teensy micormod card.
We agree that there is only need to connect pins V_USB, USB_D-, USB_D+ and GND to detect the card on the pc ?

If you're theoretically asking about the MicroMod card without the carrier board, you also need to connect 3.3V. The actual MicroMod card doesn't have the 3.3V regulator. It depends on the carrier board to get it 3.3V power. There are two 3.3V pins and many GND pins. While it would probably work if you connect just 1 of each, it's really meant for all the 3.3V pins to connect to the same power and all the GND pins to connect to ground on the carrier board.

If you're asking about the combination of MicroMod plus carrier, then yes, only those wires from a normal USB2 cable are needed.

There is nothing need to do with the RESET and BOOT pins ?

Well, your question seems pretty hardware focused, but it's always important to consider the software. For your PC to detect the board in its normal operating mode, it needs to have a program in its flash memory which turns on the USB port and performs at least the bare minimum USB responses as your PC tries to detect the newly connected device (called "enumeration" in USB lingo).

If you load a buggy program into flash, which turns off the USB hardware, or keeps interrupts disabled, or lingers forever in a deep sleep mode, or does any number of other unusual things which disrupt USB communication, then obviously your PC can't detect the board.

The Boot button exists to give you a 100% reliable (short of hardware damage or turning the power off) way to get Teensy into its bootloader mode.

In the normal flow of "ordinary" programming with Arduino functions and libraries, the Boot button (called the "Program" button on other Teensy models) is rarely needed. Normal programs keep the USB active and listen for a request Arduino sends to put the board into programming mode. But if you ever upload a "bad" program, that button is the only way to recover.

"The actual MicroMod card doesn't have the 3.3V regulator".
I did not know it, my circuit which is therefore custom, I had to release the 3.3V to the teensy, so that's most likely the problem.

Thank you for this quick response.

I hope to be able very soon to tell you more about my commercial project on which I have been working for more than 6 years. Project in which micromod teensy are therefore used ;)

Sounds like you are having some fun. I know a few of us have done something similar...

I have a page in my Excel document which shows the ATP pins:
screenshot.jpg

I know that @mjs513 has/had something you could print that you could place next to the ATP board and see which Teensy pin, each pin is...

Thank you for reply.
Oh, I missed MM ATP column in this Excel document.
And that's good to know @mjs513's something printable figure about ATP board and Teensy pin. Thank you. :)

My PCBWay partially assembled boards arrived and I picked them up yesterday.

And so far I assembled one most the rest of the way, and it appears to work :D

IMG_0441.jpg

Will probably soon assemble a second one and mount it behind an ILI9341 display.

2nd one build OK, hooked it up to back of 3.2" ILI9341...
screenshot.jpg
My guess for holes was off, so won't be able to fully secure, unless I drill new holes...

2nd one build OK, hooked it up to back of 3.2" ILI9341...
My guess for holes was off, so won't be able to fully secure, unless I drill new holes...

Good work and congrats Kurt! ... bummer on missing the hole alignment

KurtE-Really nice work! Any chance you'd be willing to share the schematic of your PCBway board? I'd like to do something similar for my application and it would save me some time. If you prefer not to share it, I understand.
Thanks for all your Teensy contributions. They have helped me tremendously over the past year!

Super useful. Thanks for the schematic information.

I see that this uses an SPI interface to the display. I thought it was going to be using an 8bit parallel FLEXIO interface. Do you intend to try and do that with the micromod since it has the necessary FLEXIO pins visible?

I see that this uses an SPI interface to the display. I thought it was going to be using an 8bit parallel FLEXIO interface. Do you intend to try and do that with the micromod since it has the necessary FLEXIO pins visible?
Sorry a parallel interface for displays has not been a priority for me... Have been more interested in getting different SPI interfaces to work.

During the MMOD beta we did experiment with using the FlexIO for cameras, which worked, but always tradeoffs as if you used 8 bits for the camera it may have used some of the Audio pins...

Also at some point I may want to play with, seeing how the MMOD Teensy would work with the MicroMod Main boards. That is for me it would be a lot easier to experiment on additional support by putting it on a "Function board", as to not have to solder on those small pin devices like connectors...

But my first look through those boards show they don't bring out the SDIO or Audio boards... But I may want to take a pass through and see just how many pins they did bring through

Super useful. Thanks for the schematic information.

I've written a library with the help of Eric (easone) and Kurt's FlexIO_t4 library.
It can drive ILI9481, 9486, 9488 and R61529 displays at 480x320 resolution @16 bit color depth. Supports blocking and non blocking(DMA) transfers.
Right now it can only write to the display and cannot read. I still have to add that in.
It's very basic, can't draw special shapes etc, it can only be fed with a color array and display it on screen - reason is I use LVGL to do all my screen graphics.
https://github.com/david-res/ILI948x_t4_mm

Let me know if you need any help with it

Back